Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Smokey Story

Smokey remember this. At Portsmouth, Va one year you asked me to drive your Hydrostream to make a class ( I think it was SST140) for the record course. Well I have raced tunnels and flat bottoms and driven offshore boats . I had driven vee bottoms like switzrers and Allisions but never a Hydrostream. Well I started and ran one lap and pulled to the infield. I just could not get that thing to hang. I gave you and everyone a good laugh.
    I am posting a picture of my Sport H class McCall/Mercury boat. My one claim to fame I set a world record with that H boat at the great Portsmouth record course.
    Am posting some other pictures, lets see if anyone knows these boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Opc

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Pic No. 6...Besides the no. 35, the trailer gives away Barry Woods boat. Is the hull maybe "Marathon'? That boat in the background might be Johnny Sanders and I'm wondering if that's Jack Leek on the left with his back to the camera. It's a good thing you took the time to take the pictures back then Ray.
    Yes, that is Leek. Barry Woods boat is a Scotti pickle. Although I can't see all of the boat behind Barry's, you can see 19, which is a dead giveaway that it's Jimbo's, probably also a Scotti as I'm not sure if there was a V-6 "Goat Boat".

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opc

Pic No. 6...Besides the no. 35, the trailer gives away Barry Woods boat. Is the hull maybe "Marathon'? That boat in the background might be Johnny Sanders and I'm wondering if that's Jack Leek on the left with his back to the camera. It's a good thing you took the time to take the pictures back then Ray.
    Wayne, just took another look at the picture, could be 195, Posey or 196 Sanders, & it's definitely a Scotti also.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

John...Posey is 197, but that's OK. When I first saw 35 I thought Bobby Witt, but then remembered he was 36. All were formidable drivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Posey

John...Posey is 197, but that's OK. When I first saw 35 I thought Bobby Witt, but then remembered he was 36. All were formidable drivers.
    Yup, you are correct. I stand corrected. Bob Witt co-drove in Paris with Geoff Briggs in 1972 when Art Kennedy co-drove with me. Both Bob & Michael had #36. I built Mike's SST60 engine which he won a major, maybe UIM World or N.A. championship with in Guntersville.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ray Woods' #405.....Aquarod????? Herb and Rudy...

[QUOTE=Beale Tilton;49346]405 is Ray Woods U boat. Don't remember the manufacture, but he bought it from OMC.
    QUOTE]

Ray Woods' #405 with the steep sides looks like an Aquarod; plans for them were in Mechanix illustrated.

I haven't read any mention of Herb Goskins or Rudy Foote. They ran in region 4 or 5 and came out to a few region 7 races. Does anyone have pics of their boats?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 3,4,5 regulars

Its great to pick out the big drivers like Schuert,Posey,Jimbo, Reggie, Seabold, Thronton and many others but its the little guys like Herb Gaskins, Rudy Foote, Tommy Bailey, Glen Barsto,Kenneth Curtis, and many many more that was the back bone of racing. I remember Herb very well. He came to race at Piney Point, Maryland on Saturday and turned the SJ boat over . The next day Sunday he was right back to race again. Now thats the love of boat racing!!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You're absolutely right Ray. That's why I am so glad I took so many pit pictures, and yours too demonstrate that point. There are so many people in the pits that maybe didn't run up front and didn't get their pictures in the newspapers and magazines, but they are the heart of racing. Without them, racing could not be possible. Many of the guys that ran in the pack turned to officiating and handling other racing support functions after they gave up the cockpit. The pit pictures bring back lots of memories of our friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray's boat was not an Aquarod. He bought it direct from OMC as a used team boat and if I heard the manufacture's name I would recognize it.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think that's Rayners boat Smokey. His were blue and white. Not even sure it's an Allison.
    Ray I don't remember you being that skinny.
    The Scat Craft with the Chysler (782) is Stue Maggard, a gas storage tank welder from NJ. Stue is also in the famous multiple blew over picture from Miami in a different boat.
    Ray, the pictures with rough water and v bottoms looks like two people in the boats and also looks like the Miami Marine Statium. What class did we run that required two in the boat for close course racing?

Thread Information