Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Post Thanks / Like

Default FS Class

John is correct. FS class required 2 people in the boat when the class was started. Didnt last long . Changed to VP, then Mod VP. APBA was allways changing, and I think thats why we lost so many drivers. Remember the engine freeze. I helped get that through in some classes, like SE and the class grew. Not everyone could or wanted to buy new engines each year. Owell more region 4 pictures tomorrow, the way it was!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barry's boat

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Yes, that is Leek. Barry Woods boat is a Scotti pickle. Although I can't see all of the boat behind Barry's, you can see 19, which is a dead giveaway that it's Jimbo's, probably also a Scotti as I'm not sure if there was a V-6 "Goat Boat".
    I could be wrong but I think Barry's boat is a Seebold. The rear cowling is alot taller than a Scotti.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevin beaulier View Post
    I could be wrong but I think Barry's boat is a Seebold. The rear cowling is alot taller than a Scotti.
    Looks like a Seebold to me too. 1975 - 1976 vintage.
    Mark N

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seebold/Scotti

Quote Originally Posted by kevin beaulier View Post
    Although Barry & Billy were & still are good friends, this was during the period when Billy had an iron clad contract with Mercury that prohibited selling boats to a competing factory. The only exception was when the Bill Muncey "Wide World of Boat Racing" was run in the Miami Marine stadium with identical Seebold with Evinrude 49 cube SE rigs were run. At the boat plant Bob "Goat" Nagode & Jimbo were always making rear cowlings of different designs, so a Seebold style cowling could of been created.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default FS class

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lumpkin View Post
    John is correct. FS class required 2 people in the boat when the class was started. Didnt last long . Changed to VP, then Mod VP. APBA was allways changing, and I think thats why we lost so many drivers. Remember the engine freeze. I helped get that through in some classes, like SE and the class grew. Not everyone could or wanted to buy new engines each year. Owell more region 4 pictures tomorrow, the way it was!!
    This was a great idea for a class. We had three FS racers from Portsmouth (Bobby Boose, Bert Fary, and Rabbit Anderson) that raced every regatta. On the off weekends we would put coolers and skis in the boats and go down the canal cruising. Pipkorn took the class to heart and pushed the Ventura in it. Watching them run in Miami at the 75 Nats made me go out and buy mine. Ray, I remember that weekend that you ran mine. I was thrilled to have you run it (you were something of an icon to us newbies). Do you remember all the grief you gave me about the polished lower unit at inspection? I at every race to paint it before the next one.
    Beale, you are right about the Allison (?). I thought about it after I posted. Did you ever see the 16' Allison I redid for Rayner?

Post Thanks / Like

Smokey,
    A couple of years ago while vacationing in Md. I stoped in Rayner's store. He was walking away from me when I entered. He caught a glimps of me, did an about face, said come on and walked out of the store. Without saying anything else we got into his SUV and headed out. Next stop was his garage. You might say he is real proud of that Allison. Did he ever find an XS engine?

Post Thanks / Like

Default #35 Barry Wood: Seebold Boat

Hey, Barry Woods ain't from Regions 3,4 or 5.... He'r from Region 10...

I was talking to Margarite Woods at Jack Leek's Memorial Service in Tacoma, Washington, last spring.

Barry and Margarite are no longer in the Concrete Coring Business (CCC)...Barry fly a 93 million dollar airplane for corporate people.

Barry and I talked on the phone, has he had just landed, but was going to be too late for for the memorial. Margarite had a bunch of pictures of Barry...I had looked at one picture and could not figure out what boat it was....I asked Tommy Posey, who was at the service, what boat it was and he said, "Seebold." When Barry and I were talking on the phone, I asked about the Seebold...

Barry told me he'd bought one from Billy and by Billy and Barry working together, they got Garbrecht (Gary was head of Mercury Racing) to tie Billy up with an exclusive contract...to build boats only for Mercury..Barry told me he'd done very well with the boat, I think at Miami where that picture was taken...

I had a picture of that boat in my hand, yesterday, but I think I put it in a storage box...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ht=Barry+Woods

Barry says he rigged this Seebold in Seebold's garage...Then, went out an broke the record...Garbrecht, decide, he'd better OWN Seebold, so, he bought him...and Ended Evinrudes on Seebold Boats...

Found them:

1. Barry in the Seebold at Eufaula, Alabama, 1975...1st Place Marathon Nationals photo by Mary Gagen....Miami, Florida...Chic Gagen's wife???

2. August 1975, Miami Closed Course Nationals, Barry and Jimbo....Doesn't say who took the picture or what place Barry got, but he was leading Jimbo...

3. #35 Barry running the Rotary on a Scotti Hull

4. Barry in a Molinari???? I don't know what boat or where...

Funny how things work. In California we had this class called TP (Tunnel Pleasure) Two in the boat 5 inches below the bottom...APBA took the rules changed it to FS (V Bottoms) then wondered why it never got very popular....(OPC lost sight of FUN, FAMILY and Friends...they wanted things to be professional...as a result, I feel OPC is worse for the wear....).
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-06-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Sherlock View Post
    459 was the number for Rick Adamczyk. Rick lived accross from O'Niels boat yard who sold Checkmate Boats. Marty O'Niel also ran a Checkmate Tunnel,, name was "Hot Tuna".
    Wasn't "Hot Tuna" Dick Fantozzi's boat? Sadly Dickie was taken at a very early age by Cancer or he would have had a great career. His brother, Tommy, is still alive and kicking and keeping the faith.

I know Marty O'Neill jr. was injured testing in a Checkmate tunnel and lost his spleen as a result. I recall that being a black hull too. Sadly Marty also passed away at a very young age (under 40) and he had a lot of problems in the years prior to his passing. It seems many of the guys I started with on Long Island like Marty Jr. and Sr., Dickie Fantozzi, and Ken Kalibat all passed away prematurely. It makes you thankful that we are still around to enjoy the remaining friends we've kept.

My life is a lot better for having known them and the survivors of that era like George Linder, Gene Bianco, Sonny Werner, Ben O'Connor, Reese Di Lorenzo, Bob Van Epps, Dick Knarich, and, the seemingly ageless, John Sherlock. I'm proud to call them all friends..... and the highest compliment I know...real boat racers.

Amen.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Sherlock View Post
    Rich, I have your money and then I don't,, seems each time I put it aside something comes along that I can't live without !!!!!
    John

PS.. Did I just know something you did not ?????
    Don't worry about the money... you may have to finish the Wing the night before Chattahoochie....

Now I'm totally confused because Dickie Fantozzi's last two SJ boats, which he ran after Marty stepped up to the Marlboro Moli.......,were called "Hot Tuna". Marty ran the Checkmate tunnels during the 2-3 years I was living in Texas and Arkansas, and I was away from the East coast. Marty and Dickie were best friends and co drove at a couple of races...Maybe Dickie used the name or maybe it was his in the first place...?

Rich
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small time racing

Smokey did you ever paint that unit?? I also saw Rayners Allison at his home last year, great job!!
    John I though you were a region 4 driver, saw you every week end. You just couldnt stay home and let me win a race now & then. Looking back we had some fun weekends. And yes you are correct the black Checkmate tunnel was Rick Adanczk at Pointy Point.
    OK! Anyone know any of these old race boat pictures??
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Thread Information