Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Region 3/4/5 OPC notables

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Seebold/OMC's that 391 boat sure looks like a Seebold and the motor ain't a Merc.

T2x
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seebold to Me...

Barry Woods said it was after the 1975 Closed Course nationals that Mercury signed Billy to a contract....

That Sport E with the kneeler... I don't think that is John Rinker, but John did have a Sport E like that at the Dayton OPC Nationals, 1976. John ran second the first heat and I told him to get a better start, and get on the inside.....I was pitting for John. Well, he blew over just about the first turn, while leading and broke his back.

Which, this accident got him out of the production end of building Rinker boats and into R and D....Rinker benefited greatly from this move...at least that is what Lori Rinker told me...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Region 5 notables.............

Seeing the kneeler it reminded me of Jeff Titus...........anyone mention him yet?
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are my ey4es playing tricks....

or does the GP on the 391 boat have studs hanging under the exhaust housing with no gear foot attached?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small time OPC Racing

Ron
    My 5th picture is a SE boat. Its a DelCraft/Evinrude. We didnt see any Delcraft boats on the east coast. It was not competeve with the McCalls in E class at the time. Owner & Driver was Danny Waltrip, Williamsburg, Va.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    or does the GP on the 391 boat have studs hanging under the exhaust housing with no gear foot attached?
    Its there, just hard to see because its painted black. What looks like studs are the scallops around the studs
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

RogerH

Default O'Berry Racing

John, you posted a picture of the O'Berry # 86 Molinari. Might you have a photo of their #60 boat? I am about to start the restoration of the #60 and would like to know anything I can about it. The #60 boat was driven by Randy Gore with the owner listed as Philip O'Berry. I believe that Rudy Foote may have driven the #86 boat for the O'Berry's. He did drive the #189 Velden as well. John Hervat painted the boats.
    I still have not been able to talk with anyone that has first hand information about the #60 Molinari which ran a Johnson RS from Solomons Maryland where the O'Berry's Marine was located. - Thanks for any help.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Default Randy Gore.........

I went to high school with Randy and lost touch soon after we graduated. I know his wife (or x-wife) Doreen is a dealer out in Las Vegas. I have tried to contact her as she was one of my favorite people down in Naples/Golden Gate, but she has been too busy to communicate with me. If you Google 'Doreen Gore' you might be able to get some info on this one................
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default 189 Velden

Roger
    I remember the 189 Veldon that Ruddy drove, I think it was a UI class, very strong runner. I think Ruddy Foote works at the US post office in Solmonds, Md.And now some more small time racing pictures in region 4 and region 4 boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default S J 501

My good friend Bobby Boose, loaned him my van to go to Eufaula that year. Now I actually know he went! Boat was, I think, a McCall U boat, owned by Dave Casey and/or Lee McGlaughin (sp?). Too heavy for SJ but he had a blast with it. He converted a potato chip cube van to a tow truck with a shop area and a sleeper sofa, painted to match the boat. We thought we had a NASCAR hauler! Bobby passed in 89 from diabetes complications. We had great times together.

Thread Information