Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Finish on 20H Conversion LU

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20-h

Great info on the 20-H. At least we now have one S/N for the 1956 run. Maybe other folks will share their S/N info.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default More numbers

Here are a few more numbers to digest. The H length driveshaft for the KG4 & 7 H and the original 20H is 45-20909, the 30H part number is 45-25726 the 25SS part number is 45-65844 which uses a narrow bearing and is the same length as the H 2 cylinder engines and the same spines for the crank shaft. It is thickened above the pinion gear but not like done on the 20H metric shaft or the 30H. There were two shafts for the 25XS engines a short one 45-14544 and a longer one 45-12639. The 2 cylinder H engines used the gear case 1604-135A1 which is the small skeg. The empty gear case for the large skeg 30H, 25XS is 1604-1116A2. The empty case for the 20H is 1604-1162A2 large skeg. The 7.5J full case is 1604-1116A8 I do not know the driveshaft used but they did have an adapter to fit the smaller splines in the crank shaft. The 25XS short shaft full case was 1604-1116A17 and the long shaft 25XS full case is 1604-1116A14.
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen the year stamped between the model and serial on any others. If someone else has one like this, please share a picture.

The last 20H number is supposed to be 790612 ... so this long skeg 20H, approximately 600 from the end of production, is again what I would expect.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Allite more on Lowere units

Well I decided to do a little more looking into the lower units on my engines. The early 25SS engine I have has the classic deep skeg lower unit. This engine has the square exhaust opening in the tower housing. The later 25SS has the short skeg with the single water inlet hole and an exhaust snout that is round. My early 25XS has the exact same tower housing and foot while the late mode 25XS has the very short tower and the lost foam foot. I guess the lost foam unit is a result of the tooling to make the classic die cast items to be either worn out or scrapped in a cleanup. I can take some photos if anyone would like.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Well I decided to do a little more looking into the lower units on my engines. The early 25SS engine I have has the classic deep skeg lower unit. This engine has the square exhaust opening in the tower housing. The later 25SS has the short skeg with the single water inlet hole and an exhaust snout that is round. My early 25XS has the exact same tower housing and foot while the late mode 25XS has the very short tower and the lost foam foot. I guess the lost foam unit is a result of the tooling to make the classic die cast items to be either worn out or scrapped in a cleanup. I can take some photos if anyone would like.

Alan
    The dies were lost in a clean up. Fred Hauenstein says many engineering man-hours were spent looking for the dies in hopes of not having to re-engineer.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information