Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Finish on 20H Conversion LU

Post Thanks / Like

I am certain a small number of deep skeg 20H's came from the factory as new.

Some 20Hs produced early in the run may have had sand cast housings, but by January 1 1954 all new Quickies were diecast.

20H's were a 1954 model year motor, but not all were sold the first year. Some lingered on at distributor's warehouses and dealer showrooms for years and people bought new unused 20H's that had been made in 1953/54 as 1954 model year motors quite a while after 1954.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20-H Lower unit

Hi Sam,
    I beleive you are correct. If you go to the 20-H parts catalogue dated June 1967 they show the 20-H tower housing with the single water outlet like the 30 and 55 H engines. It also shows the long skeg. I beleive very few engines were made with the single exhaust hole.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Single relief 20H tower

Never seen one - in 40 years of racing. Ron Lietha in MN has one on a prototype MK25H, I saw it at Tomahawk. Anyone else ever see this??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Attic find

Diging through the boxes in my garage attic that have the remaining parts from my Mercury dealership I found just about a completly new A/B lower unit in parts. The case has a few scratches on it but it's an original black case from Mercury, drive shaft, prop shaft, gears, water pump cartridge, cone and carrier, bearing, seals and so on are all there. The only thing missing is the GB bearings in the cone which I must have used for something ease. They should have been installed in the assembly so I guess I pressed them out for somthing. Might have been years ago when I started making cones and carriers. Hope you enjoy the photos.
    Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Original 20H with long skeg

Here is one unmolested original 56 with the long skeg.

Name:  1956original_long_skeg20H.JPG
Views: 407
Size:  38.2 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Alan do you have some documentation of this or just hearsay? I did some research a few years back and determined that most of the last 1,000 serial numbered 20H's have a long skeg; only a few of the first 3,000 have the long skeg ... this appeared to be a pretty consistent pattern. The sense I get is that they ran out of short skegs at the same time they were making 30H lowers and switched production over to the short skeg rather than making more short skegs just for the 20's in 1956.

It is true that after 1956 any replacement 20H housings were long skeg.

Somewhere buried in the Merc service bulletins and APBA Propellor magazines there has to be documentation one way or the other of the change over date where you were allowed to retrofit the long skeg housing onto any 20H. That kind of stuff was and still is very strict in APBA.
    I know this thread is old but take a look on page 28 they mention February ,29th 1956 as the change over date.http://www.boatsport.org/magpdf/ss565.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Default So How Many 20-H's Were There?

How many 20-h's were built? And how many had long skegs???

Post Thanks / Like

There were 4,000. As original equipment, approximately 1,000 had the long skeg.

Post Thanks / Like

I have S/N 789594 a late engine purchased from Jon Woods estate still with the factor seal and all with original paint on the short skeg gear case. So I wonder were the deep skeg cases used intermittently in production?

David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    I have S/N 789594 a late engine purchased from Jon Woods estate still with the factor seal and all with original paint on the short skeg gear case. So I wonder were the deep skeg cases used intermittently in production?

David
    1,018 from the end of production, at the very tail of the last 3/4 of production - exactly as I would predict, a small skeg motor

Thread Information