Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Finish on 20H Conversion LU

Post Thanks / Like

There may or may not be a difference in performance, but the must be painted rule nullifys worrying about it and the expense of testing to determine one or the other

Requiring paint is a simplification
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

88V RiverRacer
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we purchased some equipment back in the mid 70's from a gent in Wisconsin and all 3 20H conversions where painted gold from top to bottom and he said they came that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quincy Welding converted quite a few 20-H housings to fuel tanks. Every one I saw came without paint!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20-H conversion photos

Here are some photos of my last 20-H conversion. Well I must say I used the white fuel lines but all the rest is there. Almost all came as cast but the very last kits had some white parts. There were 3 kits. One was the tower housing and recoil mounts, the second was the carb and fuel pump plus a conversion for the pressure tank and the third was the gear kit. I have the original instructions for all three kits. Also my brother and I bought the first kit that arrived at the Mercury New Jersey factory branch. Currently I have 7 conversions and a few green and golds.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20-H conversion

The conversion kit did not include a lower unit. The replacement B lower unit was a long skeg and all came painted black. I will get a photo of one of two I bought thats still on one of my 7 conversions. OldRacerBU on hydroracer.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here is a correct 20-H on ebay

Hope this photo helps

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent pictures and commentary

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MK20H lowerunits

Maybe we are getting a little confused... The "gold" painted lowerunits that we are now used to seeing on the MK20H engines are supposed to look like someone had an original (green & gold) MK20H engine and then, when the conversion kit came out, they converted it. That is where you get the gold painted powerhead, clamp brackets and lowerunit.
    Another thing- the early lowerunit housings were sandcast and were finished in a polished appearance. These were on all the Q engines and had the bronze bushing tail cone. The later diecast units appeared to be natural diecast finish. They all had to meet the minimum dimensions at inspection. If yours was slightly undersized- you would paint it to make it pass! Over the years some of these lowerunits were painted many times and stripped almost as many times.
    When I got my first MK20H, it was against my fathers wishes! He hated the sound of them and if I was going to get one to run on my AU, then I would have to buy it myself! I got the conversion parts from Buddy Tomlinson and actually ran one of my 1:1 A lowerunits until I could afford the gears....

Post Thanks / Like

Merc put out a notice that as of Jan 1 1954, production Quickies would be diecast.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Three Mercury 20-H's

My brother David has just completed the restoration of three 20-H engines. Shown in the photo is the clasic Green and Gold, a 20-H conversion and a Quincy modified 20-H to run on alky. The tower housing on the alky is still in its original paint. All three are numbers matching 20-H engines and in running condition. The conversion is nearly correct except for the two white fuel hoses that came with the carb and pump kit. Hope the photos will help folks doing restorations. Lower units were short skeg unless you ordered a replacement housing which came in the basic C configuration with the long skeg. Copleted 16:21 housings fully assembled were usually phantom black.

Alan

Thread Information