Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: J Stock Runabout March 1969

Post Thanks / Like

Default J Stock Runabout March 1969

Ken Scoville Sr. wrote this article for Powerboat...Notice the J Motors were "CLUB FOOT" motors,,,"Tricky Ricky" was wearing a Laura Hill life jackets....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Two things I can't help but notice....The boats look so much better than modern day runabouts, a least in my opinion, and, did you catch the part where there are 6,000 APBA members???? 2000 of which are stock.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default that's March 68

That was the last race before the new mercury j stock engines came out. And that's me in 14 c, the boat's first race at Hansom Dam.

Rick Myer's dad bought that rig for $2000 from an asian guy in washington state. He was unbeatable.

During 14 C's first test, we had the record! 32 mph, but my dad added 100 pounds for the race.

Thank you very much for the picture Ron !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 60j

Hi Carl-

I remember your name but that's about it, see what decades does for your memory? Yes Carl is right, (1968) the old "club foot" motor was quickly changed to uncompetitive status when the 60J came out. I started in J in 66. When we clamped on the 60J there was no comparison. I think it was the beginning of the 68 season.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dale,
    Did you live in Eugine Oregon back then, the small city with all the great track stars?

I got to race from february 1965 to the 1968 Nationals. How can I be so sure? It was from the middle of the 4th grade to end of 7th grade. Things were all sunshine and puppy dogs.

Looking back, I am amazed at the lack of bitching by the parents! There was some, but no where near Little League Baseball, Soccer, or Tournament Karate.

I did have a very tumultuous experience with Russ Hill (Ron's brother and APBA) inspector. It started in Blythe 1966, when he disqualified me for being under weight after weighing me 3 times. To make myself feel better, I made a spam sandwich. That had to be the lousiest sandwich I ever ate.

Next at Parker, a competitor's parent complained that my boat was too thin. It was an ancient Sid Craft that was cut down. The boat was 6 inches longer, and wider than spec, but it wasn't too thin. It looked thin because the length and width were over spec. After much debate about whether to take the measurement at the start of the cock pit, or at the thickest point (as the rule book stated), Russ Hill >>>didn't disqualify<<< me.

Then at Parker the next day, I was late coming out of the pits, and cut infront of Doug Martin. He had the right of way according to APBA rules, I had the right of way according to maritime law. Doug did see me, and backed off. He went on to win the race. The same parent hooted and hollerred that I should be disqualified. Russ Hill let the race stand as it was. (I think Russ getting tired of this guy).

Next at Needles, I jumped the gun. I was dead in the water, and the current carried me over the starting line. Russ couldn't help me there. A nice lady from the judges stand gave my dad the picture. She said I wasn't so bad, and you should see how all the big boys jumped the gun in DU and had to redo the heat. It was so funny the way she described it. She missed her calling as a comedian!!

At San Diego, the same parent complained about a blue annodized fitting that was on my motor. If it had any racing benefit, I sure didn't know about it. It was for flushing the engine. Russ examined the fitting, and decided it didn't provide any racing benefit, and didn't disqualify me. He was probably getting a headache from this guy that complained all the time.

After that, I thought that Russ Hill was tough but he had good judgment. And if he were anything but, he never would have the respect of the other racers, nor have been the judge like "forever".

Next, at the Divisionals (?) F Racing Runabout ran before AU. My dad (Ted Sladek)was a deckman and got dumped. The AU heat started while my Dad was still in the patrol boat. He was a lap down by the time he even got to the pits, ran to his boat and took off. Russ saw what happened. Wow, Russ was hollaring , "Hell why don't you give a fella a chance here!!!...." And he made them restart the heat when it was already 1/2 over.

40 years later, the trophies aren't important. What is important is the competitve spirit and focus that we gained from boat racing that lead to successes in life's other endeavors.

Dale, what were you a US-1 in??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice to hear from you Carl

Carl:

Sent you a PM. Yes, we lived in Eugene. Left in 1974 for 6 years in the Navy. Came back to Eugene, got a job, stayed for another year. Then went to Roseburg for a few years, Albany for a couple, then moved to Alaska and have been here ever since.

My brother Mark and I raced JU and JSH, my Dad raced CU and DU, and later on when we were very busy with the J's, Dad sort of took a step back and raced AU. We quit racing outright after the 1970 season and Nationals in Beloit, Wi.

Did you come to some region 10 races? I remember your name and I am pretty sure I saw you on courses somewhere.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In 66 or 67 or 68 , my father (Ted Sladek) was national points champion in AU. So he got around, and I tagged along. When he was sleeping in from the 1968 Nationals, he had an impromptu phone interview from a defense contractor. Quit racing, and turned that hardened competitive spirit towards designing patrol boats for Viet Nam. Then moved the family to Louisiana where he designed ocean going crew boats (up to 100 feet).

Viet Nam Patrol boats with I/O Mercury drives, hard chines, trim tabs in the back, 1st crew boat with a turbine instead of diesels, a boat that used blowers for lift........now where would he get such weird ideas???

I got through LSU by working in ship yards, on crew boats, and ocean going tugs, and have had a very erratic career in microelectronics.

Remember the guy at the 1st turn of the JU Nationals at Seattle 40 years ago, that wouldn't let you pass??? That was me.

And that's racing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your memory is better than mine Carl

Carl:

You remember the Seattle Nationals better than I do, what I remember was some good luck. I remember little of the race. If seems that the J's were having problems with the weeds in the lake, somehow I managed to get through it. The Nationals there was the first race that I won. Region 10 was pretty competitive. Rick Montoya got second place I remember. They were waiting in the pits to throw me in the water, little did I know. Joe Price built that boat, and prop. That same prop won 4 nationals total in both classes including my brothers win.

There is a guy in Valdez, Alaska where I enjoy fishing that has a converted Viet Nam patrol boat, it has this super thick fiberglass hull designed to stop projectiles. I think that is an earlier hull than you are talking about.

I too went into electronics, worked 27 years for a computer company, last year I quit and am now working in Telecom. (Satellite and Microwave).

If you ever come to Alaska better drop me a line! Same goes for all BRF folks. As Ron would say, let's hear your stories, and see your pictures Carl. This is the #1 site for old racers, bench racers, bull****ers, liars, and everything in between. You can almost smell the Castor Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by carl sladek View Post
    In 66 or 67 or 68 , my father (Ted Sladek) was national points champion in AU. So he got around, and I tagged along. When he was sleeping in from the 1968 Nationals, he had an impromptu phone interview from a defense contractor. Quit racing, and turned that hardened competitive spirit towards designing patrol boats for Viet Nam. Then moved the family to Louisiana where he designed ocean going crew boats (up to 100 feet).

Viet Nam Patrol boats with I/O Mercury drives, hard chines, trim tabs in the back, 1st crew boat with a turbine instead of diesels, a boat that used blowers for lift........now where would he get such weird ideas???

I got through LSU by working in ship yards, on crew boats, and ocean going tugs, and have had a very erratic career in microelectronics.

Remember the guy at the 1st turn of the JU Nationals at Seattle 40 years ago, that wouldn't let you pass??? That was me.

And that's racing!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your 1st 1st place was at the nationals! Cool!! The 60J's changed everything. My dad thought that everyone would have trouble tweeking in the 60J's, and that the 14 C boat was more than fast enough to win with the old J motor.

You and your father got everything optimized before everyone else. You must of been out every weekend from March to August in 1968.

The Seattle Nationals was my last race so I remember it well. Steve Ball got 5th place in AU with my dad's floater. There was a great DSH race. One guy had top end in the straights, the other would catch him in the turns! They changed leads twice a lap. DSH's were always great. Us JU's had to be comical.

During the recession of 82, I was interviewing at Analog Devices. A manager asked me about changing the points on my 914. So I gave him a detailed description. Hell, I knew that when I was 9 years old!!!

Thread Information