Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Australian Junior Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Australian Junior Racing

We had the Australian Championships for Juniors yesterday.
    Juniors over here are aged 8 to 16.

3 classes
    J1 for ages 8 and up, with 6 hp motors
    J2 for ages 10 and up with 10 hp motors
    J3 for ages 12 and up with 15 hp motors

All racing is handicap, as we consider this a training ground and encourage driving skills rather than outright speed.

The J2 Championship had the most enteries of any Championship class, so far this season, and our season starts in October.

Not that you will know who these kids are but here are the results anyway
    J1 Small Print - Dylan Greentree - Upper Hawskbury Power Boat Club
    J2 Pocket Rocket - Ben Sturn - Adelaide Speedboat Club
    J3 - The Demon - John Reay - Upper Hawksbury Power Boat Club

and of course some pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Junior Racing Downunder!

Drats - Great pictures and story on the races.Love to see the junior classes are doing well on your side of the globe.Over here the "J" classes are gaining ground in a major way.The future looks brite for racing if we can keep the kids interested and coming back for the following years.Keep the racing news coming from over your way.We love it!
    TOM L.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How is it, they have this "Down Under"

How is it, that such a COOL CLASS comes from "DOWN UNDER", when we're "On Top" and we have nothing like this for kids??

Is it because we a "TOO COOL"? Or do dads not like boat Racing here? Or what?

I look at these "PUPPIES" and think WOW!!!

Cool...and they are racing in some TALL WATER!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron thats "little water", we take care of the kids and they race on rather short courses, and also all their races are handicap events.

We usually have kids events at all of our spectaculars and major events. I am not sure, but fairly certian they are a support class for the World GP Hydroplane champs to be held over here in a few months.

If you want to see the kids in some rough water, check out the my reply to the guy about Ken Warbies boat "worlds fastest" I think it was called.

Its rare we get really calm water for any event, we race mostly on rivers in New South Wales, they have some lakes in Victoria. We have hardly any of the small outboard classes that seem so popular over there, in Outboards most guys are in Unlimited Outboards, or 1250cc, (sometimes racing as F1 and F2 class)

I'll get my ears boxed, if any of our outboard guys see this, but inboards seem more popular. We have almost no classes with many motor restrictions, and have seperate Hydro and Displacement classes, with the courses we have in my state being on rivers, the displacements being more popular, as a hydro of any size can't get round the corners. And the hydro guys will beat me up for that too.

Here is a pic of one of our displacements, they is a lot different to what you guys race, most of them are shallow V bottoms, one of these is the start of a 6 litre event, and the other, is an oldie, but you can get a good look at the shape of the hull.

Post Thanks / Like

Default That Flying Hull...

What is that flying boat? Do you know the length? Is it a legal Super Stock hull here? It looks like what I think they should be going to here. I'm like you, if the inboard guys read this, I'll be killed...but I think most Flat Bottoms, here, are running 1960 designs. Ron Jones has been working on some new stuff...But we have "C" Runabouts (Outboards)going 65 MPH with Yamato 30 HP...

Anyway, I've always been an outboarder, it just seems better designed hulls could allow a person to go faster and SAFER!!!

THE KID CLASS: How small of course? How are the handicaps established?
    What are the prizes? Where does a man go to find the rules??? Who rules the rules/associtation for the kids...

And: I'd disagree that J Class here is doing well. We had none at the Bakerfield Divisionals.

Post Thanks / Like

That flying boat is a 6 cylinder the class was popular for a while, while one guy pushed it, rounded everybody up etc, but has died off a bit. Fom memory its about a 17 foot boat.

Kids classes, run over an 800 meter or there abouts course, motors are stock, and sealed by an engine measurer, with wire and a small lead seal, this saves too much checking for officals.

Handicaps are on times, they do a few laps of the course, and they are timed. The handicaper works backwards, say a 4 minute race, and works out where each boat should start to all finish the race together. Needs a large clockface that can be seen from the water, and the times are given out, boat x atarts at 30 seconds after zero etc (Dont forget to turn the clock off after the last boat starts, its a bit of a give away at the end).

This way consitant driving more than anything else pays off in a win. Come in early, in adult racing your disqualifed, but for the kids we tack them on to the last place legal finishers.

The clubs where I grew up all used to change handicaps between races, depending on the previous race time, other clubs use the same handicap all day, depends how many hands you have I supose. Back in the early days of racing over here, handicap racing was the norm, with a couple of scratch races (pole boat start, first to finish wins, no handicaps) thrown in.

Kids rules, not much really, and here they are, as I just happen to have then on my computer, as I wrote them to start with, as at the time I was APBA (Australian of course) National Rules Officer and Vice President for Juniors and Drags. They have bunched up a but where I cut and pasted them, so I'll E Mail them to you in Word Format. Incidently, I think your guys stole (but they are welcome to it, and glad if they did and it helped them out) the accident investigation forms I made up over here, they seem pretty familiar when I saw them, and Ihad them on the web site way back in about 1995

And of course a picture of the kids at the driivers breifing

GROUP 1600

SPECIFIC JUNIOR CLASS RULES

1601 CHAMPIONSHIPS

1602 GENERAL

1603 BOAT

1604 MOTOR

1605 SAFETY REQUIREMENTS

1606 RACING FORMAT

1607 CHAMPIONSHIP RACING FORMAT

1601 CHAMPIONSHIP and TROPHY
    The Association will control the following Junior Class Championships:
    Junior J1 Class - C D and L Trophy
    Junior J2 Class – Mack Kennedy Trophy
    Junior J3 Class – Gordon Atkinson Trophy
    The National Council should allocate the Championships to the State Council, with the greatest number of licensed Junior drivers, from the previous season.
    1602 GENERAL
    1602.01 Junior J1 Class - Drivers in this class must be aged eight to sixteen years.
    1602.02 Junior J2 Class – Drivers in this class must be aged ten to sixteen years. It is desirable that drivers in this class obtain, if available a State Boat Authority Young Adult Licence (or equivalent). Junior J1 Class drivers, stepping up must meet the age requirement for the J2 class.
    1602.03 Junior J3 Class – Drivers in this class must be aged twelve to sixteen years. It is desirable that drivers in this class obtain, if available a State Boat Authority Young Adult Licence (or equivalent). Junior Class J1 and J2 drivers, stepping up must meet the age requirement for the J3 class.
    1602.04 All Junior class drivers must be members of a Club affiliated with the Australian Power Boat Association.
    1602.05 Drivers must apply for an APBA Competition Licence endorsed for Junior Classes before being eligible to compete in Junior Class Events. Signatures need to be obtained prior to entering APBA sanctioned Championship events (according to Rule 102.041 and 102.042).
    1602.06 The holder of a Junior Class Racing Licence is not permitted to enter other than Junior Class Events.
    1602.07 A separate briefing must be held for Junior Drivers at each race day.
    1603 BOAT
    1603.01.1.1 Junior J1 Class - there is no restriction on the design or the length of the boat. The boat may or may not be registered with the State Boating Authority.
    1603.02 Junior J2 Class – the hull must be a minimum of 2.5 metres in length. The design of the hull is unrestricted. Where required by the State Boating Authorities, the owners must register the boat. J1 Class boats using 6 HP engines and stepping up to the J2 Class must meet the minimum requirements of their own class regarding hulls.
    1603.03 Junior J3Class – the hull must be a minimum of 2.5 metres in length. The design of the hull is unrestricted. Where required by the State Boating Authorities, the owners must register the boat. J1 Class boats using 6 HP engines and J2 Class boats using 10HP engines stepping up to the J3 Class must meet the minimum requirements of their own class regarding hulls.
    1603.04 Race numbers on Junior Class boats must be a minimum of 150 mm high. The numbers must be black on a white or yellow background.
    1603.05 Any device that will allow adjustment to the trim of the motor, while the boat is in motion is not permitted in any Junior Class.
    1603.06 Anti-cavitation plates on motors may not be increased in size more than 120mm to either side and not more than 150mm to the rear of the standard anti-cavitation plate.
    1604 MOTOR
    1604.01 Junior J1 Class - The power of both inboard and outboard motors used in this class is limited to 6 HP.
    1604.02 Junior J2 Class – the power of both inboard and outboard motors used in this class is limited to 10 HP. Purpose built or production race motors or “hotted up” motors are not permitted.
    1604.03 Junior J3 Class - The power of both inboard and outboard motors used in this class is limited to 15 HP. The OMC Stock “A” motor, similar purpose built or production race motors or “hotted up” motors are not permitted.
    1604.04 Unless specifically authorised by the National Council, Outboard motors must meet the requirements for a standard Motor. Effective from 1st October 2003, conversion kits are permitted, but must be kits specifically released by the original manufacturer as a part designed to specifically restrict the output of the motor to no more than the maximum horsepower allowed in the class entered.

1604.05 Conversion kits are permitted but must be checked by an Australian Power Boat Association Measurer and the motor sealed.
    1605 SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
    1605.01 All Drivers must wear the DRIVERS APPAREL as described in Rules 801.01 and 801.03.
    1605.02 All Junior Drivers must wear a HELMET as described in Rule 801.02.
    1605.03 Buoyancy must be provided to adequately float the boat and motor.
    1605.04 All Junior Drivers must meet the requirements of Rule Section 802 - EQUIPMENT FOR DRIVERS PROTECTION.
    1605.05 Junior J3 Class - A returnable spring loaded foot throttle must be fitted. No tiller steering will be permitted.
    1605.06 All outboard motors must be clamped and bolted to the transom and clamps secured with locking wire.
    1606 RACING FORMAT
    1606.01 All Junior Racing is to be conducted under handicap racing conditions.
    1606.02 The length of the course is to be between 600 and 800 metres.
    1606.03 The number of laps per race is to be three (3).
    1606.04 The number of boats starting in a race is to be at the discretion of the Officials on the Day.
    1607 CHAMPIONSHIP RACING FORMAT
    1607.01 All boats entering Championships must do so in accordance with Group 200 Rules.
    1607.02 All boats entered for Championships must establish a course time from which a starting handicap is determined.
    1607.03 The course time may be established from the average lap time of three laps established by each boat completing either (a) three laps or (b) a three-lap 'zero' handicap race in which a number of boats compete.
    1607.04 Boats finishing more than 2 seconds before their handicap time are relegated to the next available place after other legitimate finishers. In case of more than one boat breaking time, places are in order of closest to their handicap time.
    1607.05 The Championship winner will be the boat with the highest point score after three races of handicap racing.
    1607.06 If more boats than that can safely run the course have entered, the number of starters in the final races is to be determined by conducting elimination races. The best five results out of six races for each boat counting towards the final points. The predetermined number of boats scoring the highest points will contest the final races.
    1607.07 Points are to be awarded in accordance with the standard points score table (Rule 908).
    1607.08 Should two or more boats score equal points, the Championship is to be awarded to the boat having the lesser time when the differences in times between individual race times and the original course time over the three final races are totalled.
    1607.09 Should a tie still exist, the Championship is to be awarded to the boat having the lesser time when the differences in times between the individual elimination race times and the original course time over the elimination races are totalled.

These rules have been changed a little since I wrote them, and the last 2 rules seem confusing to me,
    Last edited by Drats; 03-21-2005 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Correction

Thread Information