Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OPC National Meeting Results

Post Thanks / Like

Default OPC National Meeting Results

i would like to note my unofficial results for the interested parties out there that could not attend the meeting.

1.all commissioners were in attendance.

2.the 2008 Nationals will again be in Kankakee after much negotiate. the 45, 60, & 120 Worlds previously awarded to Kankakee were withdrawn. 45 were then awarded to Trenton, 120 awarded to Marietta. the 60's will be at a combination of 2 APR events (Marietta/Soo).

3.the 2009 Nationals were awarded to Kankakee. the 2009 45 & 120 Worlds were awarded to Trenton.

4.the 2008 NAC's for 45 & 120 were awarded to Bay City.

5.OPC voted the videotape rule out of our portion of the rulebook. race management then made an exception for OPC in the general racing rules. (this does not mean we must use video. simply, the referee can if they want to...)

6.the NEW mercury 200xs was voted to be a legal sst120 and sst200 engine. the racing cost is $20,815. the teams currently racing them will return them and be given an opportunity to purchase one. the engines will be available sometime this summer. (there was a lot of discussion... there will be a parity committee focusing on keeping the 2 engines competitive.)

7.the Trenton/Soo race date conflict was temporarily resolved as Trenton move one weekend sooner. however, after losing their 120 Worlds bid, the date was not fixed.

8.2008 Major Series approved: APR for 60 & 120, PTT for 45, and finally Champboat for 120. (WFLS did not apply for series approval.)

9.prepare to show up with 2" of head clearance this year, or not race. fix it at home in the garage now. and be thinking about 4" for the future...

10.the new Mercury 4-stroke 60 was approved and will be a spec motor, spec boat, and spec prop. goal will be to have 12-15 of these available for $16k for the 2009 season...

just reporting what i can recall. happy to answer questions. won't point any fingers though. for that type of info, you should've been in detroit.

i will say you missed some fun... and some overpriced food & beverage.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

KEVIN...Thanks for the update on the OPC mtgs. If I understand it, the new Optimax will be avail "sometime" this summer...now thats a timetable ya can take to the bank!

Glad they didnt screw up the 120's by banning anything for now. Guess we will start the season on our old Optimax till they hollar at us to send it back.

ROCK ON...

Pitboss 77

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default merc 60 approved??

10.the new Mercury 4-stroke 60 was approved and will be a spec motor, spec boat, and spec prop. goal will be to have 12-15 of these available for $16k for the 2009 season...

Is OPC tring to make a new class with this? replace existing class/classes/ trying to merge 45/60 into one mega class?

Post Thanks / Like

hey whats the deal with wfls not being a legal opc series?

Post Thanks / Like

the new 4-stroke 60 class will not 'replace' anything. it's simply a new class. it should cater to a guy that has $$ and just wants to write a check and race...

the WFLS promoter was in attendance and simply didn't want to apply for major series status. but my understanding is they will still have most their same races...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hagerl8m View Post
    hey whats the deal with wfls not being a legal opc series?
    My understanding via rumor that in the past, the WFLS series did not apply to become a major OPC series because of the cost and the only thing they felt it was doing for them was allowing the championship winner to get points towards the hall of champions.
    I dont know if this is the reason, but it has been the rumor in the past as to why they didn't apply.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Price money

I think you have to have a minimum of $4k prize money at each event too. Is that correct????

Post Thanks / Like

there is $4k minimum prize money for major series races.
    there is also additional sanctioning fees for major series races.
    there is 3 HOC points for major series winners (only eligible to those attending the national championships).

(it may be a cost vs. reward thing...)

the WFLS should be in full swing regardless for 2008.

jimsummers

Default 200 engine

so did they give you any spec on the engine RPM? if the engine is the same as before. Why are they recalling the powerheads?? Sounds like to me they have a little tune up in mind, let see starts little faster makes little more H.P. Rev limit raised up some. Sure there not wanting them back just to get paid.
    The NEW 200 Well bottom line glad to see they got something figured out.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, the sst200 thing was a little fuzzy - hence no release until Jun/Jul...
    they will take the muffler/elbow off to make it louder.
    the ignition/starting issue will remain the same.
    the previous block was a stock 200xs - no longer in production.
    the new sst200 will be off the 175 optimax (same displacement).
    the mid and gearcase remain the same.
    they may increase rpm (rev limiter) slightly to get it to the previous level.
    basically, they heard the racers voice and want to make it more 'racey'...

this is why a parity committee was needed. but the commission felt if someone was going to spend 20 G's on a new motor, it should be 'competitive'. that doesn't nessasarily mean winning, but it doesn't mean losing either. bottom line: it's going to take some work to win - no matter which engine you chose!
    (or a check for $19k to me for one tight, easy to drive, turnkey package!!)

Thread Information