Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Saturday Night Drivers Parties

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday Night Drivers Parties

This should be an interesting thread..............but I think this one will be hard to beat!

Around 1982, the Canadian Boating Federation's Formula Grand Prix class had a race in Concecon Ontario, which is about a 1/2 hour out of Picton. We were running there with the Stock Outboards, and put on a good show that day.
    We were running in a Provincial Park there, and any form of alcoholic beverage was banned. Any of the drivers or crew caught consuming said beverage would be asked to pack up and leave the park. They meant business! It was kind of hard to walk by the cooler at the end of the day knowing it was full of ice and frosty ale! I had won that day, and was ready to celebrate!

Glenn Coates, a member here, invited us all to his home near Black Creek, about an hours drive away. Glenn was a pig farmer, and had planned a pig roast for us all. Off we went.

The food was great! Glenn and his wife layed out a fantastic spread for us all, and the beer was flowing freely. Being an old country farm boy myself, I asked Glenn if I could go and see his operation. I remember his answer, "You don't want to see that do you?" I answered "Yes I do", and all of us followed him into the barn to see what it was all about.

I've been in alot of dairy, cattle, and sheep farms before, some cleaner than others, but still didn't quite know what to expect since this was going to be my first tour in an operation like this. For those of you who have ever been in, or even near a pig farm, you know one thing.........molto stinko!!
    Glenns operation was really clean, but the smell inside is just a fact of life.
    We all settled in and took the tour. All were thrilled to see piglets that were literally weeks old, and some even picked them up for a cuddle. This is Henk Engels, a 250cc hydro driver holding up a piglet with his son Randy to his right:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 02-10-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd shot shows Henk from the rear, with Randy to the left, and the late Ric Hall's wife Margret and son Micheal to the right.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 02-10-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the proud papa Glenn Coates, holding up some of his wares:

Note the snouts of the curious in the lower right corner.
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 02-10-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok..............now it get's a little interesting. Hope this next pic dosn't offend anyone.

The breeding sows and boars were kept in seperate pens. Glenn explained that one sow in particular was ready to breed, and he would get it done the next week. We asked him how he knew she was ready, so he hopped over the wall and showed us how. She was walking quickly around the pen, even before he got in, but when he placed his hands hard down on her behind her shoulders, she stopped. Neat huh?

He then introduced us to Murray the boar who was in the pen next to the sows. I guess Murray knew the big week was coming, cause he was walking around making all kinds of grunting noises like pigs do.
    Murray was HUGE! I cannot remember how much Glenn said he weighed, but it was the biggest pig I had ever seen.

Well............being a bunch of bored, half cut boat racers, someone from the crowd (I think it might have been me!) yelled out "Do it now!".......When the rest of us there heard that, they all were shouting to Glenn go ahead and get the job done while we were there.

Well, to make a long story short, here's Murray, the man of the hour, with the same bunch of half cut boat racers, watching Murray do his thing. One thing I do remember after visiting Glenns farm, I threw my shoes in the garbage when I got home, cause there was no getting the smell out of them!
    Last edited by Jeff Lytle; 02-10-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default makin' bacon

Have they no shame?.........Uhhh..not the ones with cloven hooves.

So Jeff, did you ever ask Glenn about recycling shoes?

P.S. The animal rights activists say pigs are as smart as we are. So take a look at their faces knowing a camera is staring them down with a crowd in the background. This is their big break to take the Hilton Express to Hollywood.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Piggy Puffs EH?

The piggys were puffin were they? Not a rind snack food. The boat racers just looked bored and tired! Maken Bacon in the Great White North, EH?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I saw those two stumping for some political office recently!

Post Thanks / Like

Is that Tom Boulter in the last picture, in the middle with the Sydenham hat on?

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's a 250cc racer who ran with us for a few years.
    His name was Ted Bradley........He was a member of TORC.

Thread Information