Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Merc ignition stuff 4's & 6's

RogerH

Default Reply to Legend41

The CDI kit P/N is 114-2986K1. It includes the 114-2986 switch box, 134-3736 trigger, 4-cyl trigger wheel, spacer and bearings. This basically replaces the base of the distributor with CDI's base/trigger. Be sure to use their trigger wheel as they use magnetic vs optical(Merc) sensing. You will have to disassemble the distributor to install all this stuff. The attached picture of the Mk58 uses their kit. I ordered it through a local dealer who sell it to me at his cost - good friend! I've heard that CDI gives APBA members a discount but haven't checked into that. Look up their sales and tech phone at cdielectronics.com. Their technical people are really helpful and good people.

The timing will change quite a bit from your magneto timing. The mag usually is set around 0.375" BTDC and the CD ignition seems best around 0.200" BTDC.

I chose to swing the mag as I use this motor for river racing. These ignitions fire excellent at low RPM so starting them at full advance is not really a problem. I see no disadvantage in swinging the distributor as I set the stop screws the way I wanted full advance and can set the throttle opening at full advance too. Idle/start can be set as well. I hope the picture helps with your linkage question. Give me a call or eMail if you have further questions. - Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information