Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chet Herbert Cams and Race Parts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chet Herbert Cams and Race Parts

Stopped to see Chet Herbert, 2/22/08, he was moving his shop...Seems the city of Anaheim wanted to build a bridge between Angel Stadium and the Anaheim Convention Center.....So, Chet is moving...not sure, but think they've been trying to get his building for about 20 years.

His Prop 13 taxes were $1,500 a year, his new building that he's bought because the city BOUGHT his land will now be $20,000 per year, I found this to be and interesting bit of information. There is no provision in the tax law to allow for a tax break for "BUSINESSES"...

I asked Chet if he invented the roller rocker, he said, "No, the roller tappet..." I asked why needle bearing would work on a car motor....He said, "They won't take the LOW END TORQUE.." Actually, I know Chet nows more about cams and such, in fact forgot more, than I'll ever know...But Chet knows...

Chet contracted polio at an early age. He has worked tirelessly for years improving engine's performance...

The shop was pretty well cleared out, a couple of his guys were finishing moving stuff...Chet talked a little about the OLD DAYS when Chad Hill and Doug Herbert raced BMX.....Some on the wall...probably the last to be moved....Chet's son and his late grandsons....Still had his MOD VP up there...

Doug, Chet and all the Herberts, I'm sorry for your loss...Chet has given much to the sport of motor racing...

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...t=Doug+Herbert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chet Herbert is Gone...

Bill Curtis called me this morning to tell me he'd read that Chet Herbert had passed away. Bill told me Chet had sponsored his "B" Street Racer or something like that about 40 years ago....

I saw Chet twice within the last year, and thought how good he looked...81 years young he was...The guy had been in a wheel chair since he was 9 but it never seemed to hold him back. Chet was a great guy and did some amazing things...

God speed, Chet...Damn....never knew your name was Chester....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chet Herbert..

Chet Herbert
    ORANGE, Calif. (AP) - Chester ``Chet'' Herbert, a member of the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame who helped develop an exhaust header that blew smoke away from a dragster's rear tires to improve traction, has died. He was 81.
    Herbert died Thursday of pneumonia at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, according to Sara Fensterer, a spokeswoman for Herbert's son, Doug, who followed his father into professional drag racing.
    Herbert was stricken with polio at age 20 and lived the rest of his life in a wheelchair, paralyzed from the chest down.
    Lying in a hospital iron lung for six months in 1948, Herbert developed ideas for manufacturing racing parts in his head.
    Growing up in Southern California's 1950s hot rod scene, Herbert helped develop the Zoomie-type exhaust header that blew smoke away from a dragster's rear tires to improve traction, helping dragsters surpass 200 mph.
    Eventually, Herbert turned to building innovative cars that often tested the rules of the National Hot Rod Association, the sport's governing body. He developed scores of dragsters, drag motorcycles and land speed-record streamliners for other drivers. Herbert was one of the first to establish a successful speed shop and parts mail-order business and advertise in national magazines

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chet Herbert

Maybe they didn't mention his most famous - the "Herbert Roller Cams" because EVERYBODY in the world should ( already) know about them . HE made them the ones to copy . Every cam grinder did . I bought an R V cam for my 390 Ford truck motor from him 25 years ago, he spent a good bit of time on the phone with me , for such a small sale. ...........
    Rest in peace , Chet .

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chet...

Roy, what you said about Chet spending time with you for a small purchase. In my dealing with Chet, he seemed to always take his time for YOU. He gave me a shop tour one day, with my NEW CAMERA, that took about two hours. I erased all the pictures on that camera by mistake...

I'll be at Salt Springs so I'll miss his service...

Thread Information