Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury D lower unit parts

Default Mercury D lower unit parts

We have proto type parts for the Mercury D Quickie foot that include Tail cone and the water pump cover/bearing cover. See pictures attached. Currently we are having water pump cartridges made and we would like to make the propshaft. One question we have regarding the propshaft is the correct treatment of the shaft. Is it just heat treated or is it chromed?
    We will be also be making these parts for the A/B/C Quickie foot. Any help will be appreciated.

We have located a source for the bearings and seals and will be selling the water pump cover with or without bearings and seal installed. We are still working up prices and it seems like the bearings and seals will be driving the cost.

David Van Weele
    Aeroliner Race Boats, LLC

Old race bosts will still flip you out!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

If you use the INA SCE118 instead of the GB118 you get a much better bearing for about 5.00 apiece. Shaft dia is the same outer dia is about .001 bigger. The SCE118 is rated at 15,000 RPM and 1,930 foot pounds and the GB118 is rated at 4,200 RPM and 1,650 foot pounds.The nose and drive shaft bearing is INA SCE1112 and is rated at 15,000 RPM and 2,800 and the GB1112is rated at 4,200 RPM and 2,520 foot pounds same deal shaft size is the same and outside is about .001 bigger, just have to hone fit the outer dia. but the bearings are much better and last longer and turn with less drag. Price is the same for the driveshaft bearing around 5.00 a piece.
    Your Never To Old To Win

Default Prop shaft material

Thanks for the info George, I will look into those bearings. The Torrington bearings are about the same cost.

I believe the shaft is 8620 and appears to be hard chromed, if so I would like to know what depth is the chrome. I also think they may have been heat treated or hardened. If so what hardness is correct?

You are corerect you are never to old to win, I am going on 67 and Alan is going on 70.

Thanks again

David

Team Member

Default Nice machined parts

Nice job on the replacement parts. I think the shafts are case hardened to limit wear over the bearing surfaces with the core heat treated to allow flexibility? Have not seen a lot of the Mercury ones break, so they must have had it pretty much right. You could take it to a heat treating supplier and have them generate a lab report. I know that they are masked and hard chromed thereafter. I have also heard of them being made from C1144, stressproof material.
    Pop Collins was quite a smart guy. He would repair the stripped threads by milling off the damaged ones. Then weld a new threaded piece with an alignment fixture. We have one for the A-B-C units. It worked pretty good.

Formula 1, SST45 Lee Motorsports's Avatar

Speedliner,

I posted this thread over on Hydroracer as I know there are guys there that need these conenuts. Do you have a price for these? I could use two spares.

Thanks,

Steve.

Default D Cone

We should have a price next week. I will have them at the Mt Dora boat show the last week in March. We are just waiting on the cost of Anodizing.
    Thanks
    David

Default Damaged lower units

If you look at our web site aeroliner-boats.com you can the work Doug Kay does. It is fabulous work, he has sleaved a number of stripped threads and turned new threads that work perfect. His contact infor is on our site

David Van Weele

Default Case saving...

Here is what I did last month to a 44XS case with the help of my Dad. I had blown the (already oversize) threads out of both my 44XS cases so with a couple of fixtures and Dad spun a "spud" with the standard left hand threads already in it. I loosely assembled the unit with dead parts to keep the alignment and had it welded by the most experienced welder (40+ years) then spent more quality time than I'd like to have with the grinder and the 44XS gearcase template and here we have it!

J-Dub
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Merc gear housing repair.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Here is what I did last month to a 44XS case...
    I remember talking to Alan Ackerstrom a little more than a few years ago. He discribed a repair procedure that he frequently does that is very similar to yours.
    It must work.
    Jeff Yungen

Team Member

Default lower units

Thats really cool!! Ive made bearing cones and waterpump catridges for the A,B,C s Its a LABOR of love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information