Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Yellow Bird and The Frog

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Yellow Bird and The Frog

1967 Canton, Ohio OPC Nationals

Bobby Switzer killed them in Unlimited Twin Engine with his unique reverse three point The Yellow Bird.

5th Picture Alan Stinson in Paul Allison's new (in 1967) 14' V Bottom The Frog powered by a GT115 in S Class.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ted March; 04-20-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Omg.....

That was Canton, OHIO before the FOOTBALL HALL of Fame was built...

Somehow, this is where I go confused with Allison Boats... I thought, propbably because Alan Stinson was driving an Allison...That the name came from All (first name) ison (last)...I was confused for years, now, I'm confused ALL THE TIME..

Bobby "WON" the race from driving...These pictures brought back memories, but not like I REMEMBERED them...Bobby Switzer was "LIKE GOD" to me in those days....

When my dad had inspected at The Winnebagoland Marathon he's said, "Bobby was kind of a 'Hot Dog' because he's sit on his "D" motor and drive....First time I ever sat on a motor and drove...was in Jimbo McConnell's Zorkan A Runabout....I was pretending to be Bobby Switzer...when, all of a sudden the boat picked up about 5 MPG. That day, 1961, I learned about balancing a RUNABOUT....

I never acutally drove a Switzer wing...only wings I drove were DeSilva Wings...

Bobby Switzer was a MASTER THAT DAY IN CANTON...Thanks for posting them, Ted...

Please post them also, under Bobby Switzer and Big Bird and The Frog might be hard to find in a search..

Post Thanks / Like

Was that a Switzer designed boat, or someone else's? Out of all the innovative bizarre, crazy stuff that I saw coming from the Switzer's plant, that thing must have been one of a kind Daveism!

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody help me out, is that a partial pod in the center? I guess what I mean is did it stop half way back or something? It looks like a center pod boat like an early Mod VP or something but the picture from the rear looks like is has tunnel all the way across. Can't see the pod at the rear from that shot?

"reverse 3 point"?
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Ted,
    This brings back memories for me also. Bad memory---Oldsmobile transmission died as I pulled into the motel parking lot. Thankfully a local shop replaced it Saturday while we were at the races.
    Edgar (Rose) digging out the fill between front deck edge and hull of a particular brand to make sure the hulls met length.
    Paul Allison's reply to someone saying we are supposed to be building family boats not race boats, "I build race boats".
    E & T meeting Edgar's definition of a production family boat.
    Tell the folks while the Allison was named the Frog.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 03-08-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tthibodaux View Post
    Somebody help me out, is that a partial pod in the center? I guess what I mean is did it stop half way back or something? It looks like a center pod boat like an early Mod VP or something but the picture from the rear looks like is has tunnel all the way across. Can't see the pod at the rear from that shot?

"reverse 3 point"?
    Correct, the center pod only extends a little way into the outer hull sections ... no center pod at the back
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Correct, the center pod only extends a little way into the outer hull sections ... no center pod at the back
    Thanks! No sense in sitting here being confused, it's much easier to just ask.. Looks like it work fairly well.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Default More of A Reverse Three Point

I called the boat at the time a reverse three point...If I'm not mistaken, this boat did not have power trim....

I had a "BAD MEMORY" or two of Canton....Seems there was a guy and his son that helped us, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday...Sunday, when my dad and I went to inspection with my boat he asked these people to take the tools.........he thought he said take the tools to INSPECTION....Well, the guy and his kid took the tools alright, and we never saw them again......(Guy, tools or kid).....

I also have the memory of Jeff Titus winning SPORT I but about a half a lap or more.....ONLY O PEE C Nationals I ever ran!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to work well up to the speed this machine attained.

Over and over again "Naval Architects" tell racers that this is the ultimate design for stability and speed. When built and run, it almost always has problems. At least one Unlimited and several ultimate speed record boats have used the reverse 3 point, mostly without success.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Frog

Beale tells me Paul named it The Frog becaue when you hit it, it jumped right out of the water.

Thread Information