Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Testing this weekend

Been working to get all the last details completed so we can test this weekend up at Alexandria LA. Seems like we should see about 8 trailers at the lake for our two day test session. Were bringing all our rigs but what is most important right now is to run side by side with two 40 Mercs, one with Electromotive ignition and one with a mag. Hope to see real world how well the system works. Also new will be to run our C MOD with a Hatchet along with the 44 which now has a Hatchet. After we complete basic testing were going to put a Hatchet on the 40.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Alan,

I never got around to trying a hatchet on my C but I ran one on my 44 and I liked it. I believe you will too.

I'm planning on going to Alexandria tomorrow to watch / help if nothing comes up to stop me. Should be there ~ 10 a.m.
    David

FOR SALE: FE / SE / 850 Mod motor parts
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...od-motor-parts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tomorrow testing

Hi David,

We will depart Lake Charles about 7 AM Saturday morning and if all goes well we should be there about 9:30 to 10 AM. Were bringing the RV and planning a cookout Saturday night in that we will stay over night and test again Sunday. All that come to the testing are welcome.

I have a 302 prop question. WE ran a Y-102 last year where Kaylee ran A and C stock. This year we acquired a Y-302 and was wondering what a good starting pitch and diameter might be for C stock. Any suggestions would be a great help.

Winters are to long and were all excited about starting the new NBRA season at Tunks in May.

Alan

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't make it down there today.
    David

FOR SALE: FE / SE / 850 Mod motor parts
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...od-motor-parts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electromotive ignition system testing

Last weekend we water tested our D MOD with the prototype Electromotive system and was very satisfied with the performance. My biggest worry was did I choose a battery that will support a days of running and we ran more then 35 laps on a 1 mile course without charging the battery. The unit I acquired was an Interstate 7AH battery that is about 4.7 lbs. I believe we could have run another 20 laps before the voltage was to low. The engine starts easily and the ignition produces a clean running engine even though we were changing jets from .075" to .078" in .001" steps .076" seems to work the best. The throttle working off the lower carb also worked very well.

In order to provide a better setup we redesigned the magnetic sensor mount to make it simpler to fabricate. We also made the coil mount a little different where we now have most of the wiring on the back side and removed on relay and one fuse holder. I believe that after testing we will make this configuration the production model. The second D MOD has both the Merc mag and the electromotive system mounted so we can easily switch systems when were testing.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamato water suppy

After rebuilding our Y-302 with new pistons and rings for the season I wanted to put a little time on the engine before boat testing. To solve the issue I came up with a simple way to provide water to the engine the way it is normally supplied. The item clamps easily on the exhaust snot and supplies the required cooling flow while on a stand. Took about an hour to carve up a 1 inch thick plastic block. I used AN fittings but can easily be made using standard plumbing items. It connects to a garden hose and you can easily regulate the water supply.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

That is clever Alan!
    Gardner Miller
    Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
    Remember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Post Thanks / Like

I like it too
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Y-302 running on stand

Today I finished the break in of the Y-302 that I installed new pistons in. This Friday we will be at the NBRA season opener and get some serious time on the engine before Saturday's race. In all I ran the engine for about 45 min without a problem. The water supply rig I made works great but I need to make one small modification. It could use a soft runner gasket between the nylon block and the exhaust snout. Overall it supplied plenty of water and the engine ran cool throughout the testing period.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Alan tried to send you a PM and your box is full and the PM will not go thru.
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Thread Information