Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Today I check both my 22SS engines and they have a non flex plate hub so I am at a loss as to where they came from. Steve do you have any idea what Merc provided the hub part that makes up the current flywheel on or engines. Next step is to sit down with my parts book and see if I can find the engine that provided the item.

Alan
    Alan

What is the serial # of the 25ss engines?
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

I got a private message shortly after posting here, but my inbox was full. I don't know who it was. If the person that sent me the message sees this. Please resend, I cleaned up my inbox. Thanks a lot.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Allen The hub on my Flathead which was bought new with motor is a four cylinder hub that is bored and keyed and then taper bored for two cylinder taper. I think if you look close at your you will see the same. I can't remember the exact year but I bought my second flathead in about 69, maybe 68. It was to replace my current flathead which I bought from Hap Mulvaney. First one from Hap ran real good but second one with all the new updates was better. First one had points and my second one has the merc CD ignition. The second motor still runs as I sold the first one I think or it grenaded and I threw it away. Anyway the hubs were made to fit the twins taper. Hope this helps, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hub

Thanks Steve,
    Tomorrow I will bead blast the item and take some measurements tomorrow. I believe all Merc taper are the same and from memory it appears quite short. This might solve the issue. When I get the new hobby shop built I will be starting on my Looper restorations. Doug Kay has a 6 and 4 he is doing and I have to assemble the 4 you did for me.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a couple new engines!

We have been running the D Merc lower unit for some time now in D and E mod. Right now I have acquired 3 Yamato hatchets and we are building 10 new parker towers. hopefully the new lower units will work better for us and kill the lift in the rear. I have searched for 12 mm square couplers for some time now and still have not found a source. If anyone has found a source for the shaft couplers please post here or send me a PM.

Thanks,
    Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Allen, how many do you want? I keep them in stock at all times. Will get as many as you need. Email me, Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

l have a 12mm brotch & get couplers made out of good round stock steel ( not stainless).too hard will wear out brotch.have had 15 or 20 made. never had a problem. ddalton67@hotmail.com..o.d. is 1 inch

Post Thanks / Like

Alan, how much are you asking for the towers? How tall are they? I have a 9" transom and would they hold up to 3 holer?
    Thanks,
    Gardner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coupling

Hi Steve,
    The KG-9 handle has been shipped by UPS. It should be there Tuesday. Next I checked the flywheel hub on my B looper and it is made from one piece of steel. It is shorter then a 4 cylinder one and it appears the belt cog was added. If you have couplers I could use 4 of them.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tower

Hi Gardner,
    The towers are the same dimension as my Brinkman towers and that's about 10 inches. I would think that if you tried a 3 OMC you would have to do some work to handle the extra weight. We are still waiting for the machine shop to finish the towers and give us the price.

Alan

Thread Information