Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

BoatRacingFacts VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Alan, when are you going to Pineville to test? I'm going to come watch / help if I'm not working.
    David

FOR SALE: FE / SE / 850 Mod motor parts
    http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...od-motor-parts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Testing at pineville

Hi David,
    We have not firmed up the date but it could be April 19 or 26th which are both on a Saturday. Once Randy gets the approval from the city I will post the date. Anyone that would like to test with us is more than welcome. We intend to lay out about a mile course with 3 pins at each end. We will also have one or more support boats. Hopefully other folks will come over. Talked to Albert Snell today and he might show up also with a friend has a SE Merc six that my son with test for the.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamato 302 timing

Having just acquired a Y-302 I would like to check the timing. I believe I would like to set the timing at .235 on the engine. I used a dial indicator to find TDC and marked the flywheel and fuel tank. I then set the engine and made another mark for .235. I found a small line on the flywheel and one on the mag advance plate. If I did it correct I aligned the two marks and tightened down the mag. My intent is to run the engine and check it with a timing light on the flywheel lines I placed on the flywheel and tank. Right now it seems like the mag handle is advanced to far. Have I missed something?

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default 302 timing

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Having just acquired a Y-302 I would like to check the timing. I believe I would like to set the timing at .235 on the engine. I used a dial indicator to find TDC and marked the flywheel and fuel tank. I then set the engine and made another mark for .235. I found a small line on the flywheel and one on the mag advance plate. If I did it correct I aligned the two marks and tightened down the mag. My intent is to run the engine and check it with a timing light on the flywheel lines I placed on the flywheel and tank. Right now it seems like the mag handle is advanced to far. Have I missed something?

Alan
    Alan

Definitely need a timing light. Here is how to do it from Ric Montoya Tech page

http://yamatoracing.com/technical_entry.php?pid=4
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A timing light is only necessary once to assure the marks on the cranking plate and mag housing do line up when the spark plug fires. If the existing marks don't line up, make your own marks as desired- either cylinder will work for that. Once the marks/spark relationship is assured all timing adjustments only require a dial indicator. Use it to set the crank at desired timing location and move the mag housing as needed to have the marks line up, tighten and you're done. You can always check that with a light but if your marks line up at one timing setting, they will again at any other setting. Makes it really easy to play with settings and find something you like.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Test Session

We have been able to reserve Lake Buhlow in Alexandria LA for a test weekend. The date has been set at April 26th and the 27th. We will set up a race course that is about 1 mile with three buoy turns and a start line buoy, no clock. We will have a support boat available in case there is a breakdown also. So far we know of 7 trailers that are planning on coming. Albert Snell will also be there. Anyone that would like to come is more then welcome with a friend that has a 6 cyl MOD engine. We will most likely have a cookout Saturday night and drink a bear or two. At the present time we have A stock, C stock, C MOD DMOD, EMOD and SE rigs coming. If anyone would like info you can call me at 337-304-0379.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Throttle setup

When we went to the Electromotive system I built a throttle system that used the lower carb as the point of activation. Although the setup worked well I decided to build a cleaner looking item with the hope of saving weight at the same time. The original unit weighed a bit over 8 oz. and the new one comes in a bit under 4 oz. with some lightning holes still to be added.

We also added a wear plate to the throttle area on the boat to help protect the balsa core face sheet. Decided to do this while I was rewiring the kill switch for the Electromotive ignition. It now kills the battery power when pulled.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice. Well thought, engineered and executed!
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting Ready for the racing season

Thanks Sam for the kind comments. The next one I build will have some lighting holes added to further reduce the weight. I have also ordered some brass washers to support the arm. I will replace the bolt with a stud and use a self locking nut on it to make the installation as simple as possible.

As were working through the Electromotive ignition system I have chosen the battery and battery box. Today I mounted it in our 2013 Roskowski D/E MOD hydro. I have picked a 7 AH battery that weighs 4.7 pound which should provide plenty of power for a day running. The mounting location was as far aft as we could get it and on the left side. My next quest is to find a three wire kill switch so that I don't have to rotate the switch when we run an engine with a mag. Seems like all I need is a toggle switch that is on-off-on and run three wires aft. At the engine end install two connectors, one for power and one for short.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kill Switch

One the things I still needed to work out was how to have a single kill switch that could also provide power to the Electromotive system and be able to kill a magneto. Last night I found a switch that meets the needs. It is a single throw 3 pole switch so in the on position the center pole and one of the two remaining ones is open while the other is closed. Using the center as the ground leg for both configurations I built a harness that has two connections so an engine change only requires picking the correct lead. Tested it today and works great.

Alan

Thread Information