Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Default 35ss

Hi Sam,
    Good info!
    I have one but never have run the engine. I wonder what the production numbers were? Seems like it would have been best to introduce the engine with a stock foot into 36.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Merc's problem was it was already legal in 36 and was a looser. Pete DeLackner and Stan Fitts ran the 35 Chrysler with success west and east.

Merc's solution ... I'll give you a real race motor if you eliminate the class where we can't win. Actual result ... Merc bought the death of 36 and no new class resulted.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 05-14-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 36 Class

I have a good friend that bought a new 36 Chrysler when they came out and still has it I beleive. He ran in the same club as David and I did (EORC) on Long Island. It really put the old Evinrude 36 out to pasture. It was a great class that did not have a great deal of speed but was very comprtive. Actually when David and I got the Speedliner plans the deal included all the frames for a 36 Speedliner. We built the boat in my basement but getting it out was another problem. Anker would you have a photo to post of the old boat?

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default 36 Class

I have a friend who ran 36 in APBA and EORC on Long Island. When the 36 Chrysler came out it put the old 36 Evinrude out to pasture. He bought a new 36 Chrysler and had the number 69-N in APBA for years. Way back when David and I got hold of the Speedliner plans the deal included a full set of Speedliner 36 class frames. We built the boat in my basement but getting it out took almost a whole day and some dissasembly of the house. To my knowledge he still has the engine. Anker would you have a picture of the old Speedliner we built that you can post.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Ernie Dawe 1982 wakefield fastes time in 35ss DeSILVA BOAT Ernie could run about 65 mph
    David Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

35 ssr Ernie Dawe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    David Bryan
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Project

Going through my ald parts I found a new project. I will be building a Mercury 20 cubic inch engine with a set of Quincy Mumps and the Quincy modified mating crankcase. I will use a mark 25 block and crankshaft with steel reed block. Also I am planning on using a Quicy ignition plate and battery ignition. Most likely I will cut down a mark 25 flywheel and use a rope plate on it. Stack are an old set of Quincy pipes that need a powerhead. I will post more photos as the project gets underway.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Mumps!

Hey Alan,

What an excellent project! It will be interesting to learn how the mumps perform compared to a standard MK20H conversion. Please keep the images coming!

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mercury 20 cubic inch testing

Hi Tim,
    Actually I intend to do little side by side test with four engines. The baseline engine will be out 20-H that we run in A mod. I have already built an engine I have run for years which uses twin pipes and 20-H front and mark 25 block. I also completed a split case Quincy with a ported mark 25 block and twin pipes. This last engine will make the set. We will run the same prop on each engine one day in a test period and see which GPS's the fastest. All will have 16:21 gears. Should be fun to do. I will post some photos of things here soon.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Actually I intend to do little side by side test with four engines. The baseline engine will be out 20-H that we run in A mod. I have already built an engine I have run for years which uses twin pipes and 20-H front and mark 25 block. I also completed a split case Quincy with a ported mark 25 block and twin pipes. This last engine will make the set. We will run the same prop on each engine one day in a test period and see which GPS's the fastest. All will have 16:21 gears. Should be fun to do. I will post some photos of things here soon.

Alan
    Alan,

Just curious. Are the Mark 25 blocks that you have used on these engines the regular unpadded production blocks? Or are they the limited production factory padded blocks?

Thread Information