Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure the snowmobile & kart guys would buy them on eBay if the price was right

What kind of price do you think they could be sold for?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default GEM intake stack

Hi Sam,
    I will take the stack to our machine shop and see wahat they can turn them out for. My intent would to make at least four to use on the TX444DK. I will make them with a round flang and no mounting holes. My guess is that they would be in the mid $20 range but maybe lower if a number are made in one run.

Alan

RogerH

Default 25-N Avatar

Hey Alan,
    I must have been asleep and didn't notice your Avatar until now. What's the story behind the 25-N number on the B-utility? Sure looks like one of the finger lakes or Whitney Point. Binghampton / Endicott was my home town - Johnson City actually. Riggs Smith country.
    Roger
    Likes Al Lang liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default FA88 Looper and a new leg for a "B" looper

Doug Kay is restoring the Looper that was used by the Champion Spark Plug Company to test their spark plug design. At the same time I'm restoring my "B" looper which did not have its own leg. Doug Kay is building a new leg for the B so each will be complete. We will use an early "D" foot on the unit. Hopefull they both will be complete withing the next few weeks and ready to test run. Hope you like the photos. We can build the legs if anyone would like one. They will have a co-pilot and springs like the 20-H have.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speedliner BU

Hello Roger,
    25 N was the first race boat that I bought, the year 1955. I worked for 4 years after school to save the money for the new boat and Mercury mark 20-H. Still remember that I paid $411. for the engine, steering bar and a prop to West Sayville Marine on Long Island. I really wanted the Speedliner so they became a Speedliner Dealer. The whole rig cost under $800. The first race was in 1956 in a town called Great River, third place if I remember correctly with only two in the class!! Over the years my brother David and I raced on the east coast. We ran lots of marathons in New York. 1000 islands, Lake George, and so on. The photo was taken by a very a good freind who later became a "D" driver. I expect the year was 1962 and the location Hague NY and testing before the Lake George 88 mile marathon. Over the years David and I have bought three new Speedlines and after buying the plans and paterns have produced a bunch more. Were still building them.

Alan

RogerH

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hello Roger,
    25 N was the first race boat that I bought, the year 1955. I worked for 4 years after school to save the money for the new boat and Mercury mark 20-H. Still remember that I paid $411. for the engine, steering bar and a prop to West Sayville Marine on Long Island. I really wanted the Speedliner so they became a Speedliner Dealer. The whole rig cost under $800. The first race was in 1956 in a town called Great River, third place if I remember correctly with only two in the class!! Over the years my brother David and I raced on the east coast. We ran lots of marathons in New York. 1000 islands, Lake George, and so on. The photo was taken by a very a good freind who later became a "D" driver. I expect the year was 1962 and the location Hague NY and testing before the Lake George 88 mile marathon. Over the years David and I have bought three new Speedlines and after buying the plans and paterns have produced a bunch more. Were still building them.

Alan
    You guys were a few hundred miles East of me, - Endicott NY. Great times, and they were the start of my life long enjoyment with boats - mostly race boats. I worked with Larry & Kevin McAfee last weekend at the NBRA race in Centralia and got 444 #2 running. I have to do a few more things to get it up to speed, but we got three good laps out of it before running out of test time. I want to change the carb linkage and need to fabricate a spacer/plate for the bottom of the motor. All in all it worked pretty well, but ran into things we couldn't fix correctly at the race site. Will get to the fixes later, as I'm trying to get the Molinari / Johnson RS done. Love the pictures of the progress you are making on yours.
    Regards,
    Roger Hinsdale

Post Thanks / Like

Default TX444DK is ready to run today

Doug Kay has out did himself with this 44 cubin inch Mercury. It has taken quite a long time to find the carbs that we needed and finish the intake installation which is a work of art. There is such a large number of unique parts that Doug has engineered and then fabricated that it would be hard to list them here. We hope to test run the engine today if the weather will work. The Ropp hydro will be the next thing that will require attention. Have all the parts for it so it should be completed next week. Hopefully we will be able to test the boat at Hillsdale MI on the 10th of Sept. If you have any questions I will be only to happy to answer them. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to hear how this runs on the water
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A "work of art" all right! Can't believe you got the mag to fit with those external carbs! That must have been a real pain.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tx444dk

The mag mount was cut off the engine front case and welded back on 15 degress further aft. We actually reproduced the mount so that we could use a mag. Earlier in this thread you will find early photos of the engine and how we did the mount. The mag timed right up using the normal mercury timing tools. I have a CD setup if this will not work.

Alan

Thread Information