Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Data

Hi Pete,
    Thanks for the info. I am going to try to attach the Mercury 20-H, 30-H and 55-H parts status report.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Mercury Mark 20-H

The last three days I went on a long trip from Lake Charles LA to New London MN to pick up a never run 20-H. This engine spent most of it life in a glass case which I also brought back. I will post a series of photos when I get it out of the truck. The photo below shows it in the Mercury dealership.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alan,

What are those brand new 4 cylinder short blocks that you can see at the lower right corner of the cabinet against the wall?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I started in 1964, Hammer Will's Marina, Rideau Ferry ,Ontario had a brand new KG4H and a brand new KH7H in his showroom. He said they were for sale ( I wanted them! ) but his price was so high I doubt they ever left the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

That 1968 Evinrude 55 "Triumph" would also have been nice to acquire. It is iconic as the 1st production looper. Charlie Strangs 1st "revenge" on Mercury emission.

My 1st year as a dealer. I rigged one on a Glastron "143" and got 43MPH with a 19 pitch prop. Not too bad for the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New 20-H

Hi John,
    The photo is a number of years old and when I acquired the engine it was in a family room in a home. My guess is that the photo might be about 20 years ago. I have no idea what the power head went to that is shown in the photo's background. I will write up the details on the engine when I get a bit of time. Although the engine was acquired in 1956 new it has the sand case crankcase. Also the original champion K-3 plugs are installed. The S/N of the engine is 789158 which could make it a late 1955 engine or early 1956.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Post Thanks / Like

Alan

Tell us the rest of the story. How did you happen to be in that house and why did they want to give this collectors item up? Great find.

Pete
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of ours put us in contact with the widow of the Mercury dealer. He emailed us about two weeks ago and last Thursday Alan went to retrieve the engine from her. A find like this you have to act quickly and be fair with your offer price. We are working on another just like this one. We also have a nice un restored 20H purchased from a friend of Jon Woods that has never been apart, the selling dealer was Quincy welding Which is for sale if interested.
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

My head spins every time I read about the treasures you find. Indiana Jones would have a hard time keeping up with you guys.............
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mercury collection

Over time David and I have been lucky to find some rare engines. We started boat racing in the mid 50's and have kept some our original engines. Along the way I started a Mercury dealership up on Long Island. Once I had sold the business David and I kept our Mercury interests alive and formed Aeroliner Race Boats LLC which is dedicated to keeping the old Mercury racing engines running. We manufacture a number of parts for the quicksilver lower unit and feature them on our website (Aeroliner-boats.com). As my collection grew I ran out of space and rented a small shop to work on our racing venture. Well like everything else I have out grown the shop so I am in the process of building a 4,500 ft. sq. shop where we will have ample working room and a section for a museum. I will show the 20-H in one corner flanked by a 75-H on each side. From there every period correct engine will be shown. I hope to have the building erected by the end of July, concrete going down next week.

Last week I also obtained a 1959 De Silva runabout that was owned and raced by Billy Seibold. I will restore the boat and display it with Dick O'Dea's B looper. Also will restore Jerry Waldman's D Sid which will get a D looper. Once everything is done I will post photos. Also anyone traveling through Lake Charles Louisiana area will be welcome to come visit and have a beer or two.

Alan

Thread Information