Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Alan and I just purchased a 20H Conversion that had some neat items on it. The engine belonged Bill Monge but we purchased it from Bob Lemkey. We have not taken the engine apart since we only picked it up today. The engine had a Carter N carb but has a fuel pump. The hose to the carb is an original White hose. The carb is fitted with a Hubbell spray shield. Every thing looks great on the outside. It does not have the inspection tag and appears to have a correct replacement Hurricane block. The crankcase is sandcast. It has 16:21 gears in an early gear case and every thing but the water jacket cover is painted Honduras Red. The throttle hook up is not standard Mercury but it does not look home make either.

Along with the engine we also purchased a complete gearcase and empty gearcase along with 6 real nice Michigan propellers. A couple look to be NOS in what appears to brand new boxes. One prop was sent to Bill from R. Allen Smith in Shreveport, LA to an address in Calif.

When I get some time I will post pictures but if anyone knows some history of this engine it would be nice to hear.

David Van Weele
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20H Purchase

Here are some pictures of the engine and the props
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

I have been working on 2 class A Mercs, a KG4H and a "MARK15H" both of whicjh have a back story you might like. Both of these motors came from Pennsylvania, both were purchased by Mastertech customers for near nothing in auctions. They were then stored in my barn in Eastern Washington for nearly 20 years.

The MARK15H was made a legal motor for class A sometime around 1964 -65. I built one out of a fishing MK15 and was one of the 1st to actively run one up in the great Northwest. I won some, got a lot of 3rds behind Dave Swanson and Jim Downing. When I went into OPC in 1969 I sold it to Dwayne Wallick. His family still owns it.

The MK15 was loosely assembled, it had actually burned a piston right thru on the exhaust side. Never saw an A Merc do this. Must've been timed .425, bad gas and too lean!

OF interest is the name "DICK FICKETT" stamped on the crankcase. I recall he was a pretty successful racer, seen his steering bar mounted gas tanks around.

SO now I have finally been able to rework it back to hopefully former glory. It's .030 over, has new pistons, 505 series block, "square bump" crankcase, sand cast reed block.

Here's some pics, hope you enjoy the nostalgia!

Name:  MARK15PORT.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  FICKETTSTAMP.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  MARK15STBD.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  160.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Boat

Last year we decided to have Steve Roskowski build a new D/E MOD hydro for us with some minor changes to the current bout he built for us. Another outstanding boat built by Steve!
    Hope you enjoy the photos. I should be picking it up this weekend.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop failure

At the NBRA short course nationals we lost a blade off our best 3 blade prop. It shook the engine so bad that the cone nut backed out of the lower unit. When the blade let go it went through our adapter plate to our Brinkman tower housing. While all this was going on we then lost water and overheated the engine. Well Doug Kay is putting the power head back together so hopefully the engine will live through one more rebuild.

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fickett A engine

I bought an ASH from Dick and Mickey at a Silver Lake NY racein the mid to late 70's . It was a little square nose Bunky Bowerman boat about 8 ft 2 or 3. The paint on the boat seems to match the colour of your MK 15. The motor was probably on that boat at one time or another.

The boat was fast and turned OK but every once and a while it jumped straight up and tried to come down nose first. I found it challenging.

I don't know if you can see the photo, but there's one on the third page of a thread here. Google more Region 2 stuff boat racing facts.

JohnName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  150.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default You just have to love it

Picked up our new D/E MOD hydro from Steve Roskowski and thought you would enjoy a shot of taking it to it's new home. Hope to have it ready for the NBRA long course nationals at Mountain Home.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice Alan, Steve builds a nice looking boat. Is that design based off of the Phoenix Flame boats?
    Gardner Miller
    Lone Star Outboard Racing Association

"Water is for racing. Asphalt is for the parking lot."
    Remember....Freedom isn't...."Free".......

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Boat

I don't know the origin of the design but it closely resembles my Ropp that we run the 6 cylinder on. The craftsmanship is outstanding on all of Steve's boats.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default The other a restoration

This is the other motor from the pair that I described prior, equipped with a Bendix magneto and the correct flywheel, but Merc Never used this ignition on a KG4H.I think it may have started life as a KG7H and been converted to a KG4, altho the serial number on the tank falls into the block for KG4H. After all this time who knows?

Still standard bore, I installed a new set of pistons and replaced the coils and condensers. Otherwise the usual items in a restoration. Hope you enjoy the photos.
    Name:  KG4H_BEFORE.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  130.8 KB

Name:  KG4H_PORT.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  152.1 KB

Name:  KG4H_AFT.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  159.3 KB

Thread Information