Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Move in Day

Well the weather was great today so we started the move to the new shop. I was amazed to see how much we had packed into the old shop. It took six of us all day to do the move and we still will have to put things away. I will post photos as we make progress and getting's organized. The best part of the day was moving black beauty in and stocking it for all to enjoy.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Well the weather was great today so we started the move to the new shop. I was amazed to see how much we had packed into the old shop. It took six of us all day to do the move and we still will have to put things away. I will post photos as we make progress and getting's organized. The best part of the day was moving black beauty in and stocking it for all to enjoy.

Alan
    Very nice shop!! How many square feet? And where is this place again? Is the refrigerator inside the shop or outside? My dad always made the mistake of keeping his beer in the patio refrigerator, and Jimmy Hauenstein and friends would come over when my dad wasn't there and drink all his beer....

Does that "GO GREEN" 55-H have a serial number? Does it still have Carter Carbs? My brother's 55-H was 984540.....at one time I could remember all three of our D and C serial numbers....tossed the book out on them years ago. My KG-4 serial number 448916.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New shop

Hi Ron,
    The shop is a little over 5,000 ft sq with a 500 ft sq engine assembly, parts area, lounge and bathroom, all under air. The refrig is in the main hall and not where it would be open if you did not enter through the front door! My location is in Lake Charles LA. about 35 miles from Texas off I-10. I will keep it stocked if anyone wants to stop by.Today was the first phase move and over the next few weeks we will move the restored engines, most seen on the HR 40-H thread, from my home shop. The 55-H is a true carter engine that is still sealed and is S/N 884914.It is within the first 1,000 built. Dog Kay will do a full restoration of the engine over the winter.
    Ron if you are ever down this way would love to have you stop by.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default We Never Raced a Bendix Mag

Quote Originally Posted by hydroplay View Post
    Bendix mag trick was to only use the lighter aluminum magnet rotor but give it to Charlie Erdmann (electric whiz at GE and also in ASR) so he could reverse-charge the magnets and then set point gap at only 0.004- 0.006". Most people hated the Bendix mag but they did work OK after a few tricks and the light flywheel was neat but not so necessary when we finally had boats so you didn't have to slow down for the corners and then accelerate!
    My dad took his centerless grinder and re-ground the cam. He made it a "quick lift" cam. Hydroplay got me to thinking, probably, my dad cut down the point gap also.

After the 1956 Nationals, on our way home, we bought an "A" motor from Phil Van Sycle, and my dad quit fooling with the Bendix mag.

I know Harold Herghauer could never quite figure why my dad used Fairbanks Morris mags instead of Mercury mags. My dad and Harold were great friends, but my dad didn't tell Harold everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I was finally able to get a floor, power and end wall in my storage building - its' smaller by far but works for me as i have the double garage in the house as an engine work area, this is for the ACE cabinet and my P-14 with Mark75. there's a side storage with the mothballed D MOD runabout and some lumber along side. I installed LED overhead lights rather than florescent. 50 AMP circuit for power. I ran an underground conduit for air back to the house so I can get rid of the noisy Craftsman oiless.

Darn, I just passed thru Lake Charles yesterday on the way home from Houston and would have stopped in but didn't have any contact info with me! Like that black beauty!

Name:  SHOP_BUILDING2_12_14.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  133.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hobby Shop Progress

Well we moved all the things from my old rental shop over to our new facility. Could not believe how much we had packed into the facility. The majority of the building builds have been completed so now I am trying to actually sort out what I have. I do know that I now have about 20 Quincy filler blocks left over from when I was a Quincy dealer. I have them for 2, 4 and 6 cylinder engines and will be selling most of them.

The lounge and engine parts room are basically completed and awaiting parts sorting process. The way it looks it will take all winter in that we still have to move the things I have at home. My new never run 20-H is now on display with the original fuel tank so I have that effort behind me.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Merry Christmas

Wishing all that enjoy viewing this thread a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Next year I hope to start a couple new projects and finish off some old ones. One item that has been on the back burner for some time is to get a dynamometer setup to test our MOD engines. Has anyone utilized one and had good success with it? With the new shop I have room for a dyno room so I am gathering data at this time. I will post some additional photos of the shop[ once we get thing put away.

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Wishing all that enjoy viewing this thread a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Next year I hope to start a couple new projects and finish off some old ones. One item that has been on the back burner for some time is to get a dynamometer setup to test our MOD engines. Has anyone utilized one and had good success with it? With the new shop I have room for a dyno room so I am gathering data at this time. I will post some additional photos of the shop[ once we get thing put away.

Alan
    Merry Christmas
    Re dyno, talk to Al Stoker he has done the $8k to $80k dyno story

Post Thanks / Like

I used one of these for many years, it is a simple oil pump with a valved pressure gauge, tighten the valve to load your motor to desired RPM, read the gauge pressure.

I still have one in my barn in Washington, U send someone to get it and its yours for $500

http://www.internationaldyno.com/products.html

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Wienandt has been playing with dynos and MOD motors (and others) for at least 30 years with increasing levels of sophistication for both the mechanical aspects of the dyno as well as the monitoring and software side. While it sounds simple to just put a powerhead on a dyno and measure torque at various rpm levels, it takes engine time to plot out all those points if you do it manually which then brings in considerations for engine cooling and controlling the air intake and exhaust exit plus engine hours. Computer controls and recording software make the task much quicker but more costly. He'd be a good guy to talk with to give you some pointers. http://www.wptracing.com/

Thread Information