Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Alan,

Myself and a couple other guys waaaay smarter than I are working on new propshafts that may be of interest to you. They will be 15mm for the forward bearing, stepping up to 15.+++mm for the gear to press on, the stepping up to .6875" (11/16) the rest of the way aft and utilizing a 1/4" sheer pin hole. To do this the aft two bearing locations in the cases will need to be counter bored for the new, larger bearing and seal. This will establish a positive stop for the gear on the shaft to keep the shaft from slipping through the press of the gear. I believe the bolt pattern of the case will NOT need to be moved either. With the larger diameter shaft and bearings, it should minimize the deflection of the shaft that may kill gears prematurely.
    So, no more prop shims, plus a 1/4" pin = Less failure!
    More information once its available,

J-Dub

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Try Dewald they make them
    Art

Post Thanks / Like

Default OMC 22 pipes and frig art

I am building a set of pipes for an OMC 22 and found almost all I need in my old parts. I have a filler block for the engine but who knows where I put it. I will put the power head on an old Merc H tower and foot. We have made stub shafts for the B/C foot so all I need is a coupling. We also sell stub shaft on Aeroliner web site.

I updated my frig art to include additional items. We will also be selling these on our web site in the near furture.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting close to finishing our A/C hydro

The bottom of the boat has been completed and the west system was ben sanded to the finish we desire. The next step was to attack the issues with the deck. WE used the last of the carbon fiber to reinforce where we had issues and then faired it in with West with their structural filler. Yesterday we finished all the sanding deck and added a full coat of west. Our next step will be to spray a couple coats of primer on the boat and then finish with 3 or so coats of metallic automotive paint. Hopefully by next weekend all the hardware will be installed and it will be done.

One thing I forgot to mention relating to the rebuild project is the original builder of the boat. The hydro was built by Frank Zorkin more than 25 years ago as near as we can tell. We have owned the boat for about 2 years and Kaylee has raced it for two seasons. Overall the boat has great structural strength so that was the driving force to rebuild it. Like all boats it was raced hard and put away wet so the dry rot in the transom can be accounted for due to its age. Hopefully our rebuild will add lots of years to its racing life and it will still have its excellent performance.

Alan
    Last edited by Aeroliner; 03-17-2015 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Z Craft first coat of primer

Today we finished the surface prep and shot the first coat of primer. Makes a world of difference in the way the hull looks.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting very close

Today we shot the second coat of primer and sanded all of the topside. If the weather is good tomorrow we will shoot 3 coats for the final application of the PPG finish. This weekend we will install the hardware and weigh the boat.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default The paint went on last night

Due to the bad weather forecast for the rest of the week here in Louisiana we decided to put the top coat on Kaylee's boat. It has about 4 coats of topcoat and I think we will leave it at that. Next step is the numbers and hardware installation. Once that is done then we will weigh the boat and see what we have added with the repair.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to weigh a boat

Well, while we wait for the paint to cure on the boat we installed a system to easily weigh our boats. I bought a 500 lb capacity scale and installed a pulley system and a 2 speed boat trailer winch on the far wall so we can easily lift a fully rigged boat. When not in use the scale will be hoisted up out of the way. This should be a bid time saver for us. I am making a sling system to attach to the boats that is adjustable giving us the capability of establishing the CG of the fully rigged and race ready boats. My 18ft step ladder which takes two men and a boy to set up came in handy. Darn thing is unbelievably heavy!

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yamato Question

Does the Y102 have the same bolt pattern as the Y302 to attach the power head to the tower housing. Trying to find a simple way to use our 102 with a pipe on the same boat as our 302. If it will fit then its an easy way to get the two engine to the same transom height.

Alan

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope, it wont work. They are very close. There is one stud that is just off a hair. I you don't mind drilling out the tower a bit you can make it
    work but that's sort of half ars.

Tim

Thread Information