Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Merc 40 MOD

Doug Kay finished up a new 40 power head for us and we did the first test run on a stand to see if it will fire. This engine is .015 over and is pretty much a bookend from last years 40 which we had some success the first NBRA race this season. We will run the engine with a mag and a Merc lower unit until we get some time on it. After that we will go to the Yamato Hatchet and Electromotive ignition system when we put it in service.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default New OMC 22 pipe

We have decided to build a 22 OMC engine and have finished the exhaust system. We will start with a functioning power head and if all goes well we have the parts to build a complete new power head. I thought I had a filler block for the engine but it must be packed away some place. If anyone has one to sell I would like to buy it. That is the last item I need. The engine is mounted on a Merc B tower and lower unit.

Thanks,
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting things organized

After moving into the new shop I am finely getting things organized. One thing I found a need for is a large roll around work bench so I have all the tools where I am working at. My son gave me an old countertop that was 60 inches by 22 inches which formed the basis for the project. Found some unused casters on a shelf, trip to Lowers for 4x4's, 2x6's and 2x4's and four hours later working with my chop saw all parts were cut and assembled.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

One thing missing, no beer on the table!
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piston ring fitting tools

The last NBRA race we got one of our "D" engines a bit to lean and holed the #3 piston. Normally you would change the item and move on. Upon close inspection we did not like the looks of the other pistons so we changed them all. Luck would have it we had a full set of new standard pistons on the shelf so we went through the balancing process to get them as close as possible. Having inspected the bores and determined they were fine we lightly honed them to renew the surface finish so the rings will seat fairly fast. Upon checking the bore diameters we found #4 to be about .004" larger they the other 3 cylinders. A new quest was then to find a slightly oversize standard piston. Dog Kay went through is pistons and found a .005" over standard in his piston supply. Now having all pistons with the desired clearance we needed to fit rings to each piston and cylinder. I like to set the ring gap at .006 for the top ring and then .005" for the next 2. I have a series of tools to do this so I thought I would post photo's of them while they were out.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Frank Zorkin hydro

We decided to repair the old Zorkin hydro last winter and hoped for the best this racing season. After the repair we found that Kaylee and the rig weighed 4 pounds over the A hydro weight. We run the boat in both A and C so we add a bunch of lead when we run C. To date in our NBRA season she has done well in both classes. Hope you like the photo of the repaired boat running at a race in Kansas.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kg-7h

Been restoring a KG-7H and just about finished it. This engine was not run for 40 years and was put away with a full fuel tank. What a mess the fuel system was. Today I am hoping for the first run on the engine. We will see how it goes. I used the last of my Mercury thin wall crankcase to block nuts so I am looking for a source for them. If anyone knows where to get them please let me know.

Thanks,
    Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When I needed one of those thin-wall block nuts, I would just grind the outer hex sides of the correct thread size nut till it would fit in the wrench. Use a micrometer to check the amount of removal from grind on each opposite side. Don't let it get too hot when grinding, so it wont make the nut brittle. This will save hunting and waiting for special orders when these "more rare" fasteners are needed.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I call them "Crazy Carl" nuts. I take the wrench sized nut I need and simply tap it out to the proper size.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an example of what I have been using on my engines. They actually function better than the original reduced wrenching nuts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-24-UNJF...c2bc78&vxp=mtr

J-Dub

Thread Information