Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankcase nuts

Thanks for the info on the aircraft nuts. They are also used on 44XS carb attachment. I have bought 100 so they will work on my Looper restorations but for the pure Mercury restorations I like to use the correct part. I have a fried who is machining 18 for me out of Stainless hex stock. I found a company in China that will make the nuts but the min. order is 100,000. Guess that is out. Bought a couple Quincy transom pads, one of which will go in my Waldman Sid restoration with a 44 Looper.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

The Z-Craft you have looks like the boat I had built new in roughly 2003. Its a copy of Dana Holt's boat he won several nationals with in APBA 20SSH. I ran APBA CSH with it for two years then sold it to Doc Miller. Its the only Z-Craft with tall sides that I cut down to their present size and cockpit cut out and throttle cut-out. The boat was in mint condition when I sold it. Was a good boat! It has lots of lift and depending on your set-up was a hand-full in CSH. That is why I had the back of the airtraps cut off to help settle it in the corners. I wouldn't run anything faster than CSH with it as I do not believe it would be safe. Good boat for the right class. Good Luck and safe racing!!!
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default KG-7H and 20-H projects

Over the last couple weeks I have finished a pair of engines. The KG-7 was last run some 40 years ago and had what appeared to be a full tank of fuel when it was set aside. Well the fuel system was a complete mess where the residual had actually crystalized. Actually had to change the tank in that nothing would remove the dried fuel. The 20-H got a crank and flywheel, replaced the 3 hole rods and had Doug Kay bring the block to standard bore.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Don't throw out the tank. I had the same problem with 56 3HP Johnson tank. I put a cup of lacquer thinner and a bag of aquarium stone in the tank. Then I internally chucked it in the lathe thru the starter recoil hole and let it run for a few hours at a low speed. Cleaned up quite well and been using motor on a boat at the house.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Silvestri 36-S View Post
    The Z-Craft you have looks like the boat I had built new in roughly 2003. Its a copy of Dana Holt's boat he won several nationals with in APBA 20SSH. I ran APBA CSH with it for two years then sold it to Doc Miller. Its the only Z-Craft with tall sides that I cut down to their present size and cockpit cut out and throttle cut-out. The boat was in mint condition when I sold it. Was a good boat! It has lots of lift and depending on your set-up was a hand-full in CSH. That is why I had the back of the airtraps cut off to help settle it in the corners. I wouldn't run anything faster than CSH with it as I do not believe it would be safe. Good boat for the right class. Good Luck and safe racing!!!
    We did acquire the boat from Len Miller 2 1/2 years ago with a Y-102. My grand daughter started running novice but after 2 races it was to slow so the next step was ASH with the 102 and then a few more races it included CSH. This year we ran a Y-302 and had great results. The boat is very stable and performs exceptionally well. I have to say though that we did a lot of work over the winter to get the rot out and true the boat back up.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Yamato 321

Last weekend I picked up a new Yamato 321 and will be getting it ready for some testing. A couple things need to be accomplished before that. I will install the kill switch just like the 302 and check the head thickness. Overall it came through the shipping process in three sections. Power head, tower and foot so some assembly was required. Thanks to Cliff Johnson the engine arrived in record time after it was ordered. I had Dewald copy our best A prop so were excited to break the engine in. Tom Cronk did the lower unit on my 302 so we used the new spare I had and sent the one off for his magic touch and shaft replacement.

On the same trip I picked up a 44XS that Doug Kay finished. It was built with all new parts with the exception of the tower and clamps, carbs and flywheel. Everything else was new old stock. I will try to post photos later in the day.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default 75-H Project

Over the last couple months I was able to buy most of a 75-H. I now have most of everything I need to build the engine. What I am looking for are 2 prop shafts and 2 drive shafts to put the two lower units together. I have new gears and all the other internal parts to complete the lower units. Also would like to find a set of KA-6A carbs but if I can't locate them then but if not I will use KA-7A items. Someone might want to part with the items to build another complete engine. Thanks for your help.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Over the last couple months I was able to buy most of a 75-H. I now have most of everything I need to build the engine. What I am looking for are 2 prop shafts and 2 drive shafts to put the two lower units together. I have new gears and all the other internal parts to complete the lower units. Also would like to find a set of KA-6A carbs but if I can't locate them then but if not I will use KA-7A items. Someone might want to part with the items to build another complete engine. Thanks for your help.

Alan
    Alan
    Email me at rkaustin6@gmail.com about shafts.

Dick

Post Thanks / Like

Default 20-H engines

My brother David is preparing a list of 20-H S/N that are out there. Len Lupkin had started it but the effort was discontinued when the web site was shut down. We were able to recover the list and are in the process of updating it. Now that my new shop is ready and racing season is over it is time to move some things over there. Muxh to my surprise I found I have 5 Green and gold engines, 10 conversions, 2 MOD 20-H's and a number of clamp/tower assemblies. The best find was my original 20-H bought October 31, 1955 from West Sayville Marine. It is 789304 and is one of my conversions.

If anyone would like to add there 20-H info to the list which we will post soon please drop me a note.

Thanks,
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Alan: I still have two 20H's, one is the 15" double cavitation motorI discussed & sent a picture to Johns board & the serial # is:787266 & the other 20H is #:787293. Also send me pics of your 25H tower & Speedmaster foot so I can compare it to mine when I write the article for Johns board, David sent me your tower # & mine was the same except the last #was 17 & yours is 82, interesting & I wonder how many were built, probably 100 or so?. Also my foot was also "Sand Cast" David seemed to think yours was die cast?. Also under the cavitation plate mine is stamped 1-1, some were stamped 14-20 so let me know what yours is stamped. I understand Bobby Herring & Jerry Waldman both ran the B Speedmaster for a bit but under stock 20H towers?. Send pics of the unit if you can so I can put them with my pictures.
    Thanks
    Ronald

Thread Information