Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

The lower units on the 44XS, 25XS and 10XS were made using the lost foam process. When they could not find the dies from old production they needed a cheap way to cast the Quicksilver units. They are no way equal to die cast units but work well. Mercury chose not to paint any of them so there all bare aluminum.
    Likes Mark75H, Al Lang liked this post

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

why would the lost foam lower unit not work just as well as the die cast unit ? ( I will start new topic on that subject, will open a few eyes !! ).

Post Thanks / Like

the lost foam units are thicker and not as accurate as the ones that came from dies. Actually need to get them profiled to get the most from them

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of any being converted to alky. I would imagine that story is due to the confusion of them being used in KPRO in the alky division.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I never heard of any being converted to alky. I would imagine that story is due to the confusion of them being used in KPRO in the alky division.
    Just confirmed with Alan Ishi, a good friend who drove for Doc Collins, that those used by Doc with several different drivers in the then I guess JPRO later KPRO were run exclusively on gas & oil.
    Thanks Al Lang thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You have to love the paint and finish work that comes from California. Here in the East Coast you are really lucky to get more than one color gel coat, let alone multiples or fades. The photos do not begin to show the detail. My Painter who spent 20 years at Fountain Powerboats shooting all of their custom and race boats would walk by that little hydro every day, shaking his head and muttering..... Ooooo... that's nice!
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post
    Just confirmed with Alan Ishi, a good friend who drove for Doc Collins, that those used by Doc with several different drivers in the then I guess JPRO later KPRO were run exclusively on gas & oil.
    Thanks John, guess I was given some bad info.
    Found this on the Engine!
    Sam is right. Mercury and OMC, in the mid 80's were trying to romance the Stock category and get new engines approved. Mercury submitted the 10XS for A class, the 25XS, and 44XS. The commission approved the 44 and 25 and accepted the OMC A engine. We had committed to build 100 and did so. The PRO category was given 6 engines to try and get it going there but it also went down the tube.

Eddie Phillips, currently a 4 stroke engineer at Mercury was the person who designed the "center section". It took over a year to do but, in my opinion, really made for a good looking race engine.

There is a lot more to the 10XS, 25XS, and 44XS story in trying to get it in Stocks but that is for another time.

Post Thanks / Like

Aeroliner-Definitely not a Doc boat. He sold the boats and his big trailer many years ago. Alan Ishi is correct there. If you see anywhere on the boat that says Little Rascal it would have belonged to the late Toni Roberts or the late Jack Terril. If I get a chance c I will look at a few videos as I think Derek Gesler drove it years ago.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an excellent thread about the 10XS from over on hydroracer.

http://hydroracer.net/forums/forum/m...y-10xs-history

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John,
    I was just informed that the 10XS alky issue is really up for grabs. There is a thread on Hydro Racer that was posted to this thread that has statements that the engine was converted to alky.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schubert T*A*R*T View Post

Thread Information