Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Default No "Big Deal" But I think the Tower Was a 30-H

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Mercury designed a revised Mercury skeg contour for Waldman and I have a few. Note on this engine that there is a unique adapter between the power head and the D tower. It is believed that only 7 were made! Paul Christner has one on a Waldman A Looper
    Mercury made like 150 30-H's that never got sold. They pulled the powerheads off and sold them as Mark 30's. Unless some one changed them, all of Waldman's and Hering's A and B towers were originally Mark 30.

Mercury "Double" drilled some of these and sold them as D towers, but they all broke where the C holes were drilled.

I only ran one heat of A Hydro in valleyfield, 1967, as Harry wouldn't let me go out again after I won the next heat which was the John Ward Trophy Race.

By DePue, 1967, Waldman and Herring had changed their gearcase style. I think they saw I was running an inch higher than them and weighing 80-100 pounds more, them came "LOOKING" in inspection.

I was talking to Jerry after the race. I wasn't "Rubbing" it in that I had beaten him in A Hydro, the only heat I race and I won the John Ward Race. Jerry and my dad had become great friends over the years. When Jerry was hurt at the Long Beach Nationals, 1956. My dad visited him every day he was there!

I don't know for a "FACT" but I think those A-B gearcases came out in 1967....

There was a reason they called me "Elephant Boy".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-15-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waldman B Looper

A close examination of my "B" Looper that once belonged to Jerry Waldman shows that the engine is on a "C" tower with a "C" foot. This foot was also used on the 20-H unmodified as a replacement part and approved by APBA. Of note the water intake became a single hole compared to the early A/B units. The tower on this engine is only drilled for the "C" foot. Mercury made two basic runs of 55-H and 30-H engines, the first in 1956 and the last 1959 where these engines were painted cloud white. My restored engines both years and models have a single hole towers for the forward foot attachment. If I remember correctly the replacement towers came after 1959 came double drilled. These were prone to fail when used with a 55-H under heavy racing conditions. I have added a photo of the tower adapter made by Mercury for Waldman. Photo of the open foot has the following stamped into it. R.W.10 and 15:15. Might be the initials of the builder of the item. The one on the engine has W.5 and 16:21 stamped on it.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Just for a bit of trivia, I am not sure what a C -30H tower would be.

When the Mark 30 came out and I think for its entire run, it was placed on the Mark 25 tower, as a stock motor. As can be seen in the following photo it had a special lower pan the had the 2 different bolt patterns., because the block was the standard 4 cylinder and the tower was the 2 cylinder block flange.

Name:  20181217_130627_001.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  133.6 KB

If there was an early 30H, it most likely
    was on a A/B housing. Again I am not sure what a C tower would be I do have a D size housing and bracket assembly that has a 30H tag on the bracket. The good photo of the tag became the last pic on this post.??

Name:  20181217_130943_001.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  198.3 KB

Here is the ringer. The Mark 30 had a crank that had the same size drive spline as the Mark 25 and therefore mated with the A/B drive shaft. Mercury would have to had to assemble a special engine to use the D housing and gear case because of the large drive shaft/spline, build with the Mark 55 crank assembly.

Name:  20181217_131137_001.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  197.9 KB

Name:  20181217_131254_001.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  111.5 KB

This is the unit that was installed on the engine. The engine was I believe, the last deflector C mod that Quincy had made. How it was built with the small spline crank is a mystery. Most likely a stock production motor set out for mod without realizing a crank spline issue.

Name:  20181217_132012_001.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  124.0 KB

Name:  20181217_132023_001.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  144.0 KB

Just for what that is all worth. Maybe Paul C could give us some information on the C256 power head
    Likes twostroke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you check the Mercury parts catalogue you will find the 30-H tower listed as P/N is 1505-1115A1 and 55-H1505-1091A1. Both engines are listed together in the parts catalogue. Mercury never put the 30-H on the fishing engine tower. I have 5 factory 30-H engines.

Post Thanks / Like

Google Mercury Parts Catalogue and follow the likes under 2 cycle carb engines

Post Thanks / Like

Default Selling some engines

David and I have a few engines that we are selling. Actually about 45 or so. Let us know what you need. There are a number of towers and lower units that we are selling also. Along with the engines we have a large selection of parts. https://www.aeroliner-boats.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I found it strange that this had what appeared to be a modified Mark 30 on the 30H lower housing assembly.
    So then all 30H were mounted on the D type housing with a D foot.
    I knew that the 30H did not go on the fishing tower but perhaps on the A/B H housings. What is the difference between the C and D housings.

Post Thanks / Like

The 30-H introduced the deep skeg foot as did the 55-H. The towers are identical except for the foot mounting stud dimensions and the water tube. Later on the replacement tower for the four cylinders came drilled to mount both the C and D foot. This tower was known to fail under heavy use with a D. The C used the A/B/C size foot while the 40-H and 55-H had the larger foot. 30-H left and 55-H right.

Post Thanks / Like

So, if I understand correctly, I am half correct in that the 30H ran the same gear case as the A/B motors. Which would make the crank spline for the small drive shaft.
    If the engine I have, had been a 30H modified and they later decided to run the large foot, they had to modify the drive shaft or replace the crank.
    Modifing the shaft was probaby the first choice as the crank is padded and chamfered. They did not to go that path.
    Thanks, learn somthing new everday.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Although the case is the same the drive shafts are different in the A/B unit and the C unit. The A/B has a smaller 6 spline shaft and the C has a larger diameter and 10 splines on it. Although the C shaft and D shaft look similar the D is larger. The C and D crankshaft have different splines and the foot is not interchangeable. A D crankshaft could be installed in a C block and the a D foot could be used.

Thread Information