Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262753103 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercury Mark 40-H

Post Thanks / Like

Both are absolutely beautiful!

Any chance of seeing them displayed at the Antique Raceboat Regatta at Clayton, NY this summer?

I was going to ask if the 55H was a 1959 or 1962, but I can see the answer on the model serial tag
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor showing

We hope to show them a few times this year. We just showed three engines at the Mount Dora show which moved acrossed the lake. Attached are a 30-H, 55-H and a 58-H.
    Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

I'd really rather not see the 58H ... even though Merc applied to have it be a legal motor in NOA, they never made it.

It just becomes confusing and makes people doubt the rest of your excellent work.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc 58-H

Even though Mercury never made a 58-H I beleive that its a legal APBA "D" engine now to run with the 44XS engines. We have a pair of these engines that my brother and I hope to run this summer if we finish the two "D" boats we have under construction.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

44 cubic inch motors are legal as of last year, but that does not make them "58H's"

KG4H, KG7H, KG9H, 20H, 30H, 40H, 55H and 75H are actual Merc model names from the 1950's, not "generic" terms; for instance ... a KG9 powerhead on a Mark 40H tower and foot does not become a KG9H ... it is still a KG9 powerhead over a Mark 40H tower and foot, a Mark 15 powerhead on a KG4H tower does not become a Mark 15H either ... Merc never made it that way, even though it was legal to put the pieces together and race them that way.

Like I said, showing a "Mark 58H" decreases your clout, no matter how shiny it is

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question of order

I do beleive that Mercury sold the "Q" and "H" towers as a complete seperate package and a KG-9 became a KG-9Q. Likewise for the A and B motors had a hydroshort unit that could be acquired for the two cylinder engines. So if you bought a quicksilver "H" lower unit package from mercury and installed it on a Mark 15 it became a mark 15-H. Likewise for the KG-4 and KG-7 engines which used the same tower and foot. So if you put a Mark 58 on a H tower it becomes a Mark 58-H. Now don't confuse these engines with there name tag versions in that Mercury promoted both as racing engines and the use of quicksilver equipted engines was very common in APBA racing.

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1950 Advertisement

No, it did not completely work like that after the year 1950.

You could put a "Q" under the original motors ... but not for the "H's" the only exceptions were the Mark 15 over the AB H tower and the Mark 30 over the "salvaged" Mark 30H towers. Even though you could race the motors that way, it did not make the motor a "Mark15 H" or a Mark 30H"

There are actual known serial number groups for most of the "Q" and "H" motors ... other pieces put together are just parts that fit together, not 55H's 58H's, 15H's or Merc 28AH's. Where would the line be drawn? Is a 2 cylinder Merc 350 with a 55H tower and foot a Merc 350H? Is a Mark 75 adapted to a Mark40H tower and foot a Mark75H? Is a Chevy Caprice with a Corvette motor a Corvette or a Caprice?

Racing rules were and still are very strict. A Mark55 fishing powerhead would not have been legal before they changed the rule in the late 1960's ... it would be out of spec on the ports and if you changed the ports to meet spec, the machine work would be obvious. Russ Hill or Edgar Rose would throw you out, no apology. If there was any doubt, they would have consulted the serial number lists.

Merc did sell loose Q and H towers, but they went into use as alky conversions, replacements for damaged racing parts or cottage racers. Outside the 2 exceptions I noted above ... H's could not be "made" outside the factory doors.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 04-02-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default So we agree

If the engine did not have an H in it S/N tag then its not a factory racing engine. But others built still falls in the class of engines, i.e. engines equipted with the racing tower would be considered as a racing engine. Factory engines or parted together made legal racing versions reconized by APBA. While I owned my mercury dealership I put together a number of 20-H conversions by ordering all the parts right out of my parts catalogue. I beleive that these engines are a factory 20-H even though they don't have a S/N tag and were not assembled by Mercury. Mater of fact the blocks came unstamped with a S/N.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Very correct on the possibility of a "replacement part" motor ... many of those parts have such specific or peculiar shapes, stampings, die marks etc that the inspectors knew and know when they see them. Every part is on the parts list for the specific race motor and approved by APBA and NOA if different from the original. I'm stunned that you had the time to give away or your customers had the cash to afford the labor to hand assemble a "new" race motor compared to just buying a very good used motor.

But there is no Mark 58 H parts list, no Mark 15 H parts list, no Merc 350 H parts list.

A fishing motor equipped with a racing part, is a fishing motor equipped with a racing part; it does not "become" its racing cousin.

Post Thanks / Like

weather they are factory race engines or not, they still make me drool... they are beautiful!!!

Thread Information