Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Old Seattle Boat Races

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Seattle Boat Races

I think that most Boat Racing fans would probably remember the races held on Seattle's Green Lake or the Sammamish Slough. However there were several other locations that hosted races in this area as well. Does anyone know about the Race through the Lake Washington Ship Canal or the races held at the Playland Ammusment park on Bitter Lake ?
    I would love to hear from you if you have ever heard about these races or any others that were held in this area.

Thanks

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

I thought the ship canal races were held in Tacoma but that was a long time ago and I could be mistaken. I do know that we raced on lake Sammamish fairly often.

Jerry

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They still race on Lake Sammamish today. They host a 2 day race called "Tasteing & Racing" every Summer. The picture of the Ship canal race was from 1933, I don't know how long that race ran.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

J-dub,

ask your dad, Im sure he would remember some of these. I remember him helling me about the evening races in Tacoma on the waterways being televised.

Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frr

The name Blackstock written on the picture, do you suppose that has anything to do with the Seattle (Elliot Ave in the Interbay area) Blackstock Lumber Co? It is rumored that the, now even more famous, Gregg "Motorman" Blackstock's Dad ran FRR in the early days which led to Greggs passion of the "F" engines.

My $0.02 worth on the topic,
    J-Dub

Thread Information