Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuels

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Already Done That

In NBRA they already bumped the fuel meter to comply with the ethonol in pump gas. It has been this way for a couple year if not a few. Once a problem was recognized it was solved quickly. The rule may need revisited and the bump made again because it seems more pump gas is reading far more positive numbers than a few years ago.

Fuel of the day works as well. Combine both fuel of the day and the higher allowable readings and I think you woul dhave it covered for all pump gas.

Joe, you are on the right track. But Sam is partially correct, a good FE on on alkie can produce some serious numbers. They currently run these in the Pro Division in the 1100 Runabout. I have seen a couple, provided consults to build one. It saw some decent speeds on the 1100 Runabout a few years ago. Not close to what Terry is seeing though in the kilo. And yes, you need to flood your alkie engines with gas & oil at the end of the day or the cyls rust. It is the same as when you hone your gas cyls and wash them out with hot soapy water, it begins surface rusting almost immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Skoontz-
    Testers are available here for less.

www.digatrondirect.com/fuel.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 1-8!

I gotta question though....didn't the rule book call specifically for the Digitron DT-47, or DT-15 at one point?

As I read under stock fuel requirements, it says Digitron or it's equivelant, with no specificity. Then, drop down to the modified fuel rules right underneath, and it calls Digitron DT-15, or DT-47 specifically.

When I was talking to Roger Carr, he also told me the rule book calls for Digitron by number and name. The reason I ask, micron had one for $175, but, if it is not the right tool per the book, no need wasting money....

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Thanks 1-8!

I gotta question though....didn't the rule book call specifically for the Digitron DT-47, or DT-15 at one point?

As I read under stock fuel requirements, it says Digitron or it's equivelant, with no specificity. Then, drop down to the modified fuel rules right underneath, and it calls Digitron DT-15, or DT-47 specifically.

When I was talking to Roger Carr, he also told me the rule book calls for Digitron by number and name. The reason I ask, micron had one for $175, but, if it is not the right tool per the book, no need wasting money....
    .................................................. .................................................. ..............................

Q; Does this micron read the same as the Digitron? If so , i might want to buy one for my own use (unofficial) for testing between races .

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested in the DT-47. I have one still with the plastic on. Let me know. $250 plus shipping. Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default In Black On White

Skoontz-
    I suggest you bookmark the APBA homepage. There is alot of the info you are looking for on it, espically pertaining to rules and procedures. Heck, I didn't know that this was on there.

From the APBA website...

http://www.apba-racing.com/Forms/Fue...uel%20Test.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody know just how sensitive the meters are. Most of the unleaded race gas is oxgenated by some percent. The Sunoco GT-100 says its 3 percent oxgenated. Most of the leaded isnt but hate to go to a leaded gas. I never had a problem with Amoco here is Va but they are now going to 10% entehol and all the stations by June the first has to have it in all grades. I can get AV gas but find in a low compresion motor it burns to slow and dont make the same power as pump gas. I could bleand the GT-100 and AV gas hell now you have to be a chemist and buy a meter.
    Your Never To Old To Win

Post Thanks / Like

George, the meters are very sensitive to any amount of alcohol
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome To The Group

Quote Originally Posted by Gstillwill View Post
    Does anybody know just how sensitive the meters are. Most of the unleaded race gas is oxgenated by some percent. The Sunoco GT-100 says its 3 percent oxgenated. Most of the leaded isnt but hate to go to a leaded gas. I never had a problem with Amoco here is Va but they are now going to 10% entehol and all the stations by June the first has to have it in all grades. I can get AV gas but find in a low compresion motor it burns to slow and dont make the same power as pump gas. I could bleand the GT-100 and AV gas hell now you have to be a chemist and buy a meter.
    George,

Welcome to boat racing today, you seemed to be one of the last ones affected by the gas issues.

We take some of the bad gas and mix it with the good Av gas to get the right octane, as we have the same issue you had with the burn. So we still guess on the mix, but so far so good, and we ALWAYS get it checked as soon as possible at the race site.

It really sucks to be honest, we are all affected by the problem and there seems to be no common sense prevailing in inspection to ease up. Hell, one has to go to extreme lengths to find legal gas anymore. Why should we all have to spend such big dollars on race gas buying Torco, or Av gas ? It is tough enough to spend the cash on gas to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly believe that the good old boys who make and enforce these rules do not care how much it costs us to race.
    It don't get no better than this.

Thread Information