Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuels

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pop990 View Post
    I honestly believe that the good old boys who make and enforce these rules do not care how much it costs us to race.
    Incorrect... Completely incorrect. Actually it's just the opposite. Keeping things fair and 'by the rule book' does nothing but keep the cost down for racers. What if you do all the testing and prop work and get your rig flying, only to get beat by someone who sits on his *** and then adds the appropriate amount of 'hooch' to win??? Are you coming back? You followed the rules and you did it right and still... someone else has your trophy & your check.

Also.. If you know you are getting a fair shake at the race, aren't you going to be more likely to go racing? WIth more racers showing up, (because they know they are going to get a fair shake) the purse goes up and the financial benefit to the club goes up as well.

And frankly... You can get set up in a quality fuel testing system for around $500 that will drastically tighten up the fuel situation.

In the long run... It's a cheap price to pay for the benefits.
    Russ Rogers
    Fort Worth (Hell's Half Acre), TX

http://www.caldwellracingtechnology.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Its not us vs them ... if you don't like the rules, talk the ears off of your local commissioner.

Until there is a crisis at a Regionals or Nationals the current rule works.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rusrog View Post
    the purse goes up and the financial benefit to the club goes up as well.

And frankly... You can get set up in a quality fuel testing system for around $500 that will drastically tighten up the fuel situation.

In the long run... It's a cheap preice to pay for the benefits.
    Russ, you are talking about a different league than most here ...

Most of our races have no cash purse ... there is no "up" when zero is all there is. $500 buys a lot of race gas or consistently legal AV gas for Stock and Mod kneel down racers ... no where near our break even point.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Russ, you are talking about a different league than most here ...

Most of our races have no cash purse ... there is no "up" when zero is all there is. $500 buys a lot of race gas or consistently legal AV gas for Stock and Mod kneel down racers ... no where near our break even point.
    Oh. Well. I didn't know that. SO most of these clubs don't put the entry fees in the pot?
    Well then you're right. Quarantine the fuel and hope every one is honest. Most are and the ones that aren't are the ones that have to look themselves in the mirror every morning.

Russ
    Russ Rogers
    Fort Worth (Hell's Half Acre), TX

http://www.caldwellracingtechnology.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Entry fees pay for insurance and sanction fees, site rent ... sometimes the clubs don't even break even.

We test fuel for polar additives/electrical conductivity, no need for quarantine.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, we've talked about this fuel issue allot...So, let me pose this question. Has anyone ever shown a clear advantage, I.E. documented horsepower leading to an advantage over a boat using pump gas from one station to the next with no added ingredients other than what the refinery created? And, could the parameters of fuel ranges be given more latitude so an honest person who simply stops at any major gas station for his race fuel not need to worry about getting DQed because of a pump blend? I think that's what would make more sense given the fuels available in certain areas if there was no clear advantage.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not saying that we shouldn't have rules, but you tell me why we should have to buy race gas to mix with the pump gas so it will pass the meter. What is wrong with gas of the day? Weren't these classes created for legal motors to run service station pump gas?
    It don't get no better than this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    Ok, we've talked about this fuel issue allot...So, let me pose this question. Has anyone ever shown a clear advantage, I.E. documented horsepower leading to an advantage over a boat using pump gas from one station to the next with no added ingredients other than what the refinery created? And, could the parameters of fuel ranges be given more latitude so an honest person who simply stops at any major gas station for his race fuel not need to worry about getting DQed because of a pump blend? I think that's what would make more sense given the fuels available in certain areas if there was no clear advantage.
    At the reading for 10% ethanol, there would probably not be an advantage in a stock motor in circle competition; it might be enough to let Wartinger up most of the kilo records though. It would increase power in some mod motors prepared to run on it. The reading for 10% ethanol will vary much more than the reading for zero ethanol. It would be very difficult to define and enforce.

Like I keep saying ... nothing will be done until it completely messes up a Divisional or Nationals and they will not be awarded to locations likely to have trouble.

bill boyes

Us Calif racers have been dealing the the Ethanol blended fuels for 20 years. Was considered a Calif problem and not our problem from other Regions. Now it is an issue all over the US. Funny thing one year I bought 5 gals Union in La Salle while at the Pro Nationals and it went off the meter like + 30. Dang what to do so I dumped it into the rental car and bought the same octane from another Union about 2 miles from the first one and it was about -40. Seems this is the norm now. What we do now in Region 11 is have Fuel of the day at some at some races were the meter is set for 87 octane at a certain Chevron station. A lot of us use Av Gas if they can get it. Or what I have done for years is buy Race fuel 110 octane leaded and mix it 50/50 with Pump 87 gas. Mix it with Redline 20/1 and the meter will read -30 to -40. Keep the fuel out of the sun and only mix what you plan to use that day. I mix 2 1/2 gals at a time. What i have left over from the weekend I use it in the lawnmower.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes View Post
    Or what I have done for years is buy Race fuel 110 octane leaded and mix it 50/50 with Pump 87 gas. Mix it with Redline 20/1 and the meter will read -30 to -40. Keep the fuel out of the sun and only mix what you plan to use that day. I mix 2 1/2 gals at a time. What i have left over from the weekend I use it in the lawnmower.
    That is what we are doing now. It sucks because the 110 is very expensive, at least here it is.

It certainly would be great if we could simply allow pump gas and come up with a test for additives banned. If the records go up, they go up. Or preserve them and begin a new slate once a new rule is adopted to allow pump gas. That way Wart can get another 200 or so.

Thread Information