Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Gouldstone

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gould Stone....

C'mon Urse you can do a hell of a lot better than that!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Gould Stone

I Worked At J & G Auto Marine From 1969 To 1972 And Again From 1981 To The Flood Of 1986...it Was The Only Place You Could Work On Your Own Race Boat And Get Paid To Do It...when I Was Getting My C-nod Boat Ready From The Race At Susin, I Can Remember Bob And Old Gouldstone (he Was In His Good Cloths) Help Me Sand And Paint The Bottom Of It..lot Of Stories And Good Old Coors For Lubercation..he Was That Kind Of Guy..there Was Always More Race Boats Than Ones To Make Money Wth,,..there Was One Boat I Always Wanted And That Was A Opc D Tunnel That Belong To Brat Kramer It Was Built By De Silva (one Of A Kind) When De Silva Was Still In Northern Cal..

"Bumpers"
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gouldstone...J&G Marine

OH MY GOD!!!! J&G Marine....I spent sooooo many nights and weekends down there with my dad, walking around the corner to that little store next to the catholic school getting the best sandwiches made in Napa or playing in there playground because the back of the playground backed right up to shop and I could see my dad through the fence.....

Watching my dad with a coors or michelob light in his hand or sitting on the bench which I would sneak a sip from every now and then while he sanded and stripped some boat and then painting it YELLOW AND BLACK....and then waiting for the guy to come pinstripe it and paint names on it....or playing with the guard dog....I can't remember his name.....and Bob Biagio and his son.....I used to climb all over the trailors and play in the boats stored there and act like I was racing them......

I asked my dad to race boats long before I was old enough too and back then he just raced 20R with "Old Yeller" I think the boat was a DeSilva design, if not it was one that Darrell Sorenson built.....he caught me sitting in it on the trailer and I was winning the race!!!! I was leaning and turning, and then jumping back and trying to get as low and as far back as I could and he snuck up on me and scared me half to death with "What are you doing" and my reply to him was "winning the race". He laughed and just walked away chuckling....

I remember coming home from J&G so filthy and my mom so mad because my clothes were ruined from the grease, gas and other sludge that covered the floors there and my dad just saying oh well she was having fun.....I LOVED THAT PLACE!!!! it was mine and my dads place to go, I knew when I got older and started driving, I could find my dad 3 places....at the office, under the tree on the side of Hwy 29 taking a nap or and the boat shop doing something or shooting the preverbial "sh%t" with everyone there....

"Bumpers"
    Post Thanks / Like

and Dwayne I remember you.....I remember bugging you all the time, what ya doing, and you would tell me, and then I would ask the next question, but why....do you remember the flood we had in Napa in I think '86 or '87...I remember my dad taking a rubber dingy in the shop when the water was over waist deep and bringing out our engines on the raft....saving them from the nasty "poo poo" river.....

"Bumpers"
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron I remember you, I met you when I was really really young at Indio, we went down there for a race for my dad, I think I was 7 or 8 because not long after that I got my first JSR....My dad used to tell me now this is the man you want to get your props from, he is the best in the business....and they are fast.....and I know he sent you some of the props I raced with to fix, once after the kilos in Modesto....and once after my throttle stuck and I forgot to pull the kill switch and hit the shore going full tilt with my dad trying to catch me and the boat before I did too much damage.....
    I set the one and only record for J Pro Hydro there after running through shallow water that was clearly marked, and taking chunks out of my prop and lower end unit.....

"Bumpers"
    Post Thanks / Like

OK here is a story for everyone.....Took place in '89 in Depue Illinois....My first Nationals......

Paul Kern "PK" as my dad called him, and Todd Anderson had driven the the trailer out there and my dad and I flew in and Sandra Paul's wife flew in too, they picked us up at the airport and I remember Paul telling my dad that he was lucky they were allowed back in the terminal because Paul and Todd had gotten a hold a couple of rentable wheelchairs they had at the airport and were racing them around the terminal.....
    well they picked us up and took us back to the motel were staying at and my dad seeing a sign on the interstate saying "Bitrthplace of Ronald Regan". My dad saw that sign and was like "I WANT THAT SIGN".....one night we went to the Red Door Inn, and we were getting smashed.....there was a bunch of other racers there that night, like Tim Smith ( I think he raced 700 or 1100 hydro), Steve Litzel, Brinkman Racing Team, the Whyhoski's, Howard Anderson and his family, Larry ( I can't remember his last name, but he drove a laydown hydro and it was all black and he had a son that we called "Dirk", and a few others that I can see the faces of but can't recall the names....But I remember my dad ordering Strawberry Daquiris for me and the waitress would kind of pass them in front of my dad and then set them in between us, but we were on our way back the "Roach Motel" as my dad called it, and we were in a rent a car a tiny little four door thing, Paul and my Dad in the front seat and me Sandra, and Todd in the back....we pulled up to the sign on highway , and they were really going to steal it, right there off the side of the highway, and they got out popped the trunk and grabbed the tools and then realized that the sign was bigger then the car we were in.....So we got back in and drove off laughing.....

Does anyone remember that Motel we stayed in, it was where all the drivers and teams stayed, and do you remember the bugs doing the single file line marches down the hall, and then scatter under a door.....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking And The Dog's Name Was!!!!!!

Brandy...always Had More Dirt And Flee's Than 200 Dogs..
    Can't Remember The Dob's Name Tho..

"Bumpers"
    Post Thanks / Like

and man did she smell, god she needed a bath!!!!!

"Bumpers"
    Post Thanks / Like

Do any of you "old timers" remember my grandpa Jack?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grandpa Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Michele G View Post
    Do any of you "old timers" remember my grandpa Jack?

Of course, I remember your Grandpa Jack, back when he was on the LAPD. I also remember your Grandmother Louise. Good people.

And Bunker, yes, I could say more about Gouldrocks--about 3 volumes more, but as I said this is a GP rated site. And most of what I'd say would bore people and much of it, "you had to be there."

I did love old Gouldrocks.

Michelle, I'd sure appreciate if you could give us here or by phone to me a short chronological bio of you dad, your mom and yourself. (714) 374-1366.

Russ Hill

Thread Information