Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I'm--gasp!--looking at a John-Rude!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm--gasp!--looking at a John-Rude!

Can't believe it either, but... I need to come up to speed on the 50 hp, two cylinder John-Rude loopers.

Questions:

1. Years built
    2. Cubes
    3. Weight of power head (approx.)
    4. Hopup recommendations for a light boatl.

I know squat about these motors, other than they go like hell and have potential. My buddy has one under the bench and... You know.

Thanks,

Fastjeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for all the help!

Right.

Post Thanks / Like

Answers, '76 right through current. OMC offered a rope start version for about 5 years, '76 through about '80 or '81. A similar yet very different version to the original is still being made as a 60HP E-tec, and if I'm not mistaken, they have allowed it in as probationary in APBA's 45 class as an attempt to get new iron working in an aging class of engines.

44 cubes plus change, like 44.9????. Hence, 45 class

Weight of power head is light enough that when one goes south, the 45 racers can unbolt it, and one person can lift and remove it and toss it on the bench. A guess, 60-70 lbs.

Hop up recommendations, can't help you there, I would start looking in the 45 class racers and or engine builders. Pop990 (Bill Curtis) of this forum makes one of, if not the best 45 motors in the class. I would target the questions in the 45 title, you would probably get better answers than I can bring you. I'm curious, what are you building?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 45 parts

I can give you any help you need on these motors, like what are the good parts and not.I have anything you need including hard to find blocks. You can call or email me wiih any questions. 714 321 2381 boat990@aol.com Bill
    It don't get no better than this.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First of all, thanks for the replies!

Built a 9 foot "hydro disguised as a dink boat" that hangs off the back of our 32 footer. This gives me the excuse to relive my childhood--I had a series of 8 foot, home made hydros back then, powered by the usual 2 and 4 cylinder Mercs. A few years ago I "got that old feeling" again and built the little dink boat. It was first powered by a 9.8, then a Mark 25, then a Merc 200 with remote control, then...

Last year I put a 50 Merc on it--and it handled very well. Top speed was dissappointing, however, and the ice arrived before I could sort it out. This year, though...

Over the winter I built a Merc 25 looper twin mounted on a Mark 30 tower; a lot less weight and not that much less prop hp. We'll see how this setup works out. (Either way, I'm having lots of fun!)

The problem is that I need to retain a full gear shift for utility reasons--no quickies or jacked up to the moon setups. I take the "Admiral" to dinner across the river several times a year, and use the little boat to cart grandkids and "stuff" to the beaches.

I'm thinking that a hot triple looper mounted on a Mark 55 tower with FGS would work very well. Agreed?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

For a boat design look at the guys running FEH. But yer running a shifter case...9' long seems a tad short for a 50HP OMC, but, best to ask guys running FEH, like maybe Jeff Akers. Seems to me his rig is 12' and change long.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Size matters!

Actually, my little boat is about 12 feet long--I had to dramatically shorten the bow (with a rounded off fiberglass section) to keep from bashing pilings with it. The boat is also used as a dingy that hangs, crosswise, on the back of our cruiser. Right now, the outboard end (to port) sticks out a bit, but the starboard side is plenty clear, and that's my preferred side for docking.

Strange, perhaps, but eminently practical, and lots of fun! I've introduced dozens of thrilled passengers to the joys of "real" boating, the waves clearly visible as they rattle against the hull, wind rustling in their faces....

Rats! Yet another month before I can go boating again. Will the cold weather never end?

Jeff

Thread Information