Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other OPC posts cleared from 1969 Havasu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercmack View Post
    Up On The Point With All Those People Waitnig For It To Start Was Me (mercmack) And Yard Bird..we Never Missed A Race Back In Those Days..to Me It Was Like Going To Merc School All Over Again..you Learned So Much In Such A Short Period Of Time, So Much Brakeing And People In A Hurry To Fix It...its Way To Bad That Its All History Now..
    That's where we'd be too - just over on the back side, near where they used to have a dock (where I'd crash 17 years after this photo was taken).

Do you remember a family that used to bring a chimpanzee that was just like a child? We sat next to them about three years in a row there on the back side of the point. My job was to run up the hill and copy down from the leaderboard every year. As long as I can remember, Thanksgiving always meant Outboard World Championships. Great races.

Val

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

At the 1969 Havasu race, I think I have a picture of a race boat with 2 OMC v-4 powerheads one on top of the other. It is not on the DVD, so I don't know if it even started the race. Got to dig into the slides.
    Backfire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beale Tilton View Post
    Hate to disagree with Edgar, but the first OPC nationals were at Lake Georg 1966. It was rougher than a cob. They had a problem holding the committee boat at anchor. The first heat of the Nationals was FE and for some reason we all screwed up and jumped the gun.
    I only remember a little, like Mike Quayle won FI and was disqualified because a couple of reeds didn't measure correctly.
    The marathon was like a ocean race and the shore was soon littered with broken boats.
    What I remember most was the long ride alone from Souther Maryland to Lake George at night.
    That race was the event where the far turn boat in the marathon...some 10 miles east on the lake from the start......left its post ....leaving the fleet to flail about looking for the turn that wasn't there......

by the way if Mike Quayle was DQ'd...it was Edgar Rose who did it

That was also the event where we (Henry Greene, Billy Martin (of Offshore fame) Dick Knarich and me) launched Bob Van Epps's FE Allison into the motel pool......trailer and all....

T2x.....Fellow "survivor" of the '66(not '63) Lake George Nationals
    OBSOLETE AND PROUD OF IT

Thread Information