Page 1 of 33 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Random shots from the pits

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Random shots from the pits

A few random shots from the pits. See if we can bring any of these guys out of the woodwork.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some from Hot Springs 1974

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few from Winona, Minn. 1975

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who are they?

I was hoping some old racers or pit crew would chime in, but here goes.

Left to right.
    1st group

#1 ?, Johnny Dortch (MO), (? Doc Severensen?), Bobby Wilson (TX)

#2 ? spectator from DePue, Joe Rome (TX)

#3 Barry Anderson (IL I think) Next photo on right is Alan Ishii (CA) but I forgot the name of his transporter.

2nd group

#1 Ralph Donald(GA), Marshall Grant(TN), Baldy Baldwin (back)(TX), Walt Blankenstein (FL), Phil Howard (can't see good)(IL), Bruce Nicholson (LA)

#2 Jerry Pennington, Marshall Grant

#3 Ray Yates, Sr. (TX), Jerry Perrytington (TX)

#4 Charlie Bailey (TX), Wayne Walgrave (MN)

#5 Denny Henderson (TX)

3rd Group

#1 Walt Blankenstein (FL), Stan Leavendusky's dad (sorry Stan I have had a brain malfunction on your dad's first name).(KS)

#2 Stan Leavendusky (KS) (I put the state where you were from when I took the picture)

#3 Terry (I have the last name somewhere) (MN), Bob Smith (MN), pit man ?

#4 Bill Kurps (IL), Tim Butts (MI)

#5 Tom Harden (W VA)-Mal's dad

Some day I'll figure out how to separate the photos for captions or else imprint on the photos. Hope it's not to hard to figure out who's who.

Post Thanks / Like

These are all from Lakeland, Fla 1993. I don't have any contact sheets & it is hard to identify some people from a negative. So some of them I didn't recognize until I scanned, some I don't know. Maybe you guys could help out.

Post Thanks / Like

Some pit shots from Lakeland, Fla 1974

Post Thanks / Like

Pro Nationals, Hinton, West Virginia 1977

First a story about our trip to the Nationals.

Some German friends traveled with us to West Virgina. We were in the mountains not too far from our destination when we stopped for gas. Harry, our friend from Berlin, needed a rest stop and walked straight into the women's rest room. He came out embarrassed and with a very confused look on his face. He looked around, then walked over the the men's room, slowly opened the door and peaked in. Then he went inside. I never said anything to him, and I don't know if he ever figured out what was up. The men's restroom had a sign HIS'N, and the women's HER'N. In Germany the men's room is HERREN.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hinton photo

Take alook at the gentlemen in the bottom left corner with the straw style cowboy hat on, do I spy Pop Augustine in a younger life?

oldalkydriver

Default Joe Michelini...Now there is a name from the past

South side of Chicago...what a shop! 1961, John Toprahanian and I went to Nationals in De Pue. My first time there. I was so happy to be going to Nationals as a young lad of 17 or so. Especially without my parents. WOW! The adventure only had one draw back, I didn't get to race in 'A' Hydro. John and I left for De Pue bright and early Tuesday morning. I started driving, as Toprahanian driving scared the Hell out of me. He had a habit of repainting the right side of his car. His favorite color was 'Guard Rail White!' So as a young roster, I kept on driving. John would constantly say every four or five hours, "Do you want me to drive?" Of course I would respond with a firm, "No!, I'm fine." He said that I would end up paying for it. And as usual, he was right! I was so tired when we arrived on Friday noon, when it came time for bed Friday night, I didn't wake-up til Saturday evening around 6:00PM. I missed my elimination heats Saturday afternoon.

Back to the reason of this post. Joe Michelini had one heck of a shop. I was really impressed. There were so many KR's, SR's, PR's and 460's. Everything from reed valves to tuned exhaust. Wild looking units, boats and props. This man had everything. Talk about funny, this man was funny as all get out. We spent a lot of time on Friday in the shop.

On the way home, I also meant a man in TexArkana. Another great shop with a dock right on the lake. Comes home from work, eats, wraps a rope around the flywheel and away we go. By the time its dark, you can be in your garage correcting any problems. Testing 99% of the time! What a way to live!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fred tyson
    Take alook at the gentlemen in the bottom left corner with the straw style cowboy hat on, do I spy Pop Augustine in a younger life?

At the far left with his hand to his ear ... yes, I am certain that is Pop Augustine
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information