Quote Originally Posted by F-12
Wayne.............You used a turn fin at Lakeland?........Just kidding. I think from what I remember, we set it at it's highest adjustment and since it was the long course, you just kept the wheel set at about 15 degrees and pretty much hung on for the ride. Here's the finish line photo that was taken by a local TV station. This was one year the entire race (both days) was covered by a local TV station. Walt said before that I was a show off, and I proved it.
Actually Charley, when I set the "C" & "D" records driving O'Dea's equipment in 1969, that's just what I did, had the wheel cranked slightly & shifted my weight forward & back again to adjust for buoy locatiions. While setting the "C" record I was actually ducking under the pylons. What was also interesting was that in the 1st heat I finished 3rd behind Dub Parker, senior moment, can't recall his name, the mayor of Carbon Cliff, IL. Anyway, Walt says to Dick, give me that prop. He took it to the trailer hitch on Dick's car and gave it back for the second heat. Wow, did it ever take off, plua I had a better start.