Thread: Random shots from the pits

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Doug

Coming from Renton, I figured Bob Rhoades had built it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renton?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Coming from Renton, I figured Bob Rhoades had built it.
    I was born and raised in Renton, WA; I'm not familiar with the name. I'll have to look into that. The stuff you learn on this site...
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow! I figured Bob was still involved with racing,

When we get back to normal I'll put up some photos of Bob and his boat. He snookered me in the John Ward Race in 1975, when I figured I had it sewed up and my thoughts drifted elsewhere instead of racing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob Rhoades--Boat builder from Renton

I don't know how many Boats Bob built, but the characteristic I remember most is that they ran flat. They were fast, but didn't float the sponsons like a Butts Aerowing.

The water at the Pro Nationals in DePue 1974 was very shallow. On the backstraight and below the bottom turn the boats actually had mud in the roostertails. It was cold, wet, windy and a lot of elimination heats to run. It was obvious that conditions were very dangerous so Pro Vice-Chairman Homer Kincaid had Bruce Nicolson and my Dad go out and sound the water and see if they could come up with a race course that could minimize the danger. The water ranged from 18" to 34". They finally laid out a course and marked the whole outside perimeter with stakes. That was the only time I raced with outside boundaries also. The back straight had to be moved in toward the center and turns 3 and 4 narrowed. There was a big problem in milling for the start because just a little out from T 3&4 it was very shallow. Eliminations were weather delayed and the program ran way behind. In order to be able to get in all the elimination heats and finals it was decided to run the remaining elimination heats just prior to the class final. The championship would be decided by one heat-five laps.

Bob Rhoades was the last guy testing on Thursday evening before finals started the next day. He was alone and made lap after lap taking a wide approach to the turns and hugging the center bouy before sliding out. He had some good lines and it was a pretty sight to see, but it would't work well after the course was altered.

The John Ward Race was 500cc's or less and I believe Fred Hauenstein was the defending champ. He was there to defend his title. OMC had announced that the winner would get airfare, room and board for a week in Belgium and attend a Championship race with all the top OPC drivers competing.

My Aerowing and motor were running good. I had the inside at the start and was in and out of the turn and halfway down the back straight when the black flags came out. A boat had flipped in the turn. Same thing happened the next heat. I was through the turn and gone when another first turn accident had stopped racing. By now I was feeling pretty confident. Had the starts down and everything was performing well. The third start went good and all boats made it through the first turn. I was again way out front. After I got a comfortable lead, I started running the outside of the course. Boats were not supposed to go outside the markers so by running up against them I only needed to look over my left shoulder to see if anyone was coming up. I had plenty of time to move back to the inside. Since we had five laps and my lead was strong, I backed off the throttle to save the lower unit. Then I started to think about Bud Finkl's daughter whom I became reaquainted with at the Eastern Divisionals the month before.

While I was thinking about what our dinner plans would be, Bob Rhoades was running outside the course boundary markers and sneaking up on my right. My Dad was in the pits hollering and waving, but my mind was elsewhere....Ann, a trip to Belgium, a John Ward title, etc.

I first saw Bob when he blew by me on the right and jerked his boat back on the course in my lane little more than a boat length ahead. I was slammed by the water coming off his prop and I immediately dumped the pipes and throttle to keep from going up on his roostertail as well as keep my motor from gulping all that water. I had to wait a few seconds for the water from his roostertail to fall before I could try to nurse my engine back. This all happened just before the final lap. About 3/4 down the front straight my engine finally coughed out all the excess fuel and water and took off, but Bob was already in the turn. At the finish I was right behind him, but it was one heat-winner take all. I was PO'd and felt like a stupid fool at first, but Bob and I stayed friends. He did what he had to do to win (although I would have never done that), and I learned a valuable lesson. And David you are right (could it be from personal experience?)

Bob set a couple of competition records the next year with this rig at Yelm Washington on the mile and 2/3rd's course. The hydro manufacturer is R & D so Bob must have had a partner. Who is D?

500cc hydro 87.421
    700cc hydro 90.817
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    I can only remember 3 Rhoades boats during the 70's. I had the pleasure of helping Bob at DePue a couple of times. I think all were C-D boats. Rex Hall had one, and Bill Van Steenwyk had one. I agree with your comment about the boats running flat. The only time I ever saw one go over was at Dayton for an OC worlds. Bill Van lent his boat to an Austrian??. I think he tried to set it up the way that they do in Europe by flying the front really high. As he went down the back stretch, the boat just kept climbing until it finally took off. No serious dammage, but I had never seen a boat go that high before.

Dan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default R&D ...

The name combination Rhodes & Daniels comes to mind but ... someone else from R10 will know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Default R & D Hydros

Thanks Dr. Thunder.

Dan--That is what I remember too. Maybe in the Northwest there were others, but that's all I can recall. Here are those drivers and their R & D hydros. First Bob Rhoades at Depue 1974, 2nd Rex Hall Phoenix 1976, 3rd Bill and Eileen Van Steenwyk Depue 1974

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne,
    Your telling of the story from the DePue Nationals was outstanding. That's a story anyone would enjoy - boat racer or not. It sure brought a smile to my face.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Val

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Val---I enjoy swapping boat racing stories. I have sat in the pits with many of the members here and had a great time listening to some of the tales they had to tell. I wish they would do some posting. I'll bet Ralph Donald has enough stories for a series of books.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yelm, Washington 1976

Hey Dr. Thunder, how about telling us about these guys?

Thread Information