Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rhoades Boat

Hey Wayne, I read where Dan mentioned that the Rhoades boats always ran flat. The picture of my dad at Firebird doesnt look like it is runnig too flat. Very clean. I would like to get a copy of this picture if this is possible. If it is let me know what it would cost me. You can e-mail me if you want. Thanks for all the great pictures. I am going to have to figure out how to post pictures here. I have a few from races the last 8 or 9 years. Any help would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

We have information right here:

How to post pictures on BRF
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Random Shots From The Pits

First picture:
    Red Jacket and white hat -- Johnnie Dortch

Second Picture:
    Race driver With the infamous cigar in his mouth-- Ed Thirlby Sr

Great photos Wayne, Rog Dykehouse

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rog. When did you start racing? What Classes. I'll bet you went to the NOA World Championships in Forest Lake, Minn in 1968 before your retired from racing. Any stories?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rog Dykehouse
    Race driver With the infamous cigar in his mouth-- Ed Thirlby Sr
    Now I know!! I always looked at that pic and wondered why it looked so familliar. I didn't realize it was Ed, for that would have helped me put 2 and 2 together.
    I used to pit for a man named Willy Kersjes when I was 13. I traveled with him for a couple of years to races in Canada and the US. When Willy sold out, all his stuff went to Ed.
    I kept looking at the tank on the engine, and the water lines on both sides of the tank. I had never seen another engine like it, and looking at the pic always had me scratching my head.

Thanks for clearing that up Rog.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yelm WA ... 1976

Just guesses ... but, top right FRR of Chuck Walters...

Middle left would be Mike Jones and one of his J kids ...

Middle right ... none other than the "Genius" Jim Hallum ...

Bottom left ... wild stab in the dark but might be the then record setting 125 Konig of Mark Demaray.

Smitty probably could tell us everything about the Hallum/Walin/Anderson/Sutter years ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Thunder
    The name combination Rhodes & Daniels comes to mind but ... someone else from R10 will know for sure.
    We had time for beach racing at Moses Lake this weekend. Jim Daniels would be the "D". He was Bob's brother in law at the time. I understand that the boats were works of art as far as craftsmanship. I also understand that Bob hasn't raced since the mid-seventies, but is still with the Seattle Fire Department and can be found at the Seafair unlimited races every year. One of the many legends from this area that some of us newbies don't hear enough about.
    Mike Johnson

World Headquarters

Portland, Oregon USA

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Thanks Rog. When did you start racing? What Classes. I'll bet you went to the NOA World Championships in Forest Lake, Minn in 1968 before your retired from racing. Any stories?
    Wayne, You asked, So:
    I started racing APBA stock in 1959 a with 20H but switched to NOA Am Pro(mods) in 1960 running Hot Rods with the IOA while attending School in Indiana. In 1966 I ran ARR and AOH with a Quincy Looper in the Michigan Out Racing Assoc and finished third in ARR at the 1966 NOA World Championships in Midland,MI. That was a spectacular event with a reported 500 + entries from all the US and Canada. What a SHOW!!!!
    During that time I also ran B mod hydro with my Hot Rods in the the IOA/NOA.
    In 1967 one of the guys in our racing group got badly hurt and I lost my appetite for racing and sold the Looper. By 1969 I was out of racing.
    Now I'm having a blast playing with a 44H Merc on a Bezoats hydro and a modified B Hot Rod on a restored Reeths hydro exactly like I raced. Some of our fondest memories are of Boat Racing in the 1960s. Rog Dykehouse

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some great history lessons here on BRF

They did build fine boats Cameraboy. Thanks for the info on Jim Daniels, I don't thing I ever knew him.

Doug you are right when you say they ran clean. They could not have won races or set records with the sponsons dragging. When I say they ran flat, I meant low over the surface as opposed to some of the other boats. Here is an example of Dan Kirts in you Dad's R & D Hydro and Dan in his Butts Aerowing.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default NOA was BIG in those days

Rog--Do you have a race program or results that you could post of the 1966 NOA World Championships in Midland?

Thread Information