Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    We're looking forward to that. Don't have enough from that time period and there were a lot of great drivers from those days.
    Allllrighty, then: Let's get Started!

Here's the first small batch:
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Snow Leopards, but Jimmy Page

What do you know about that B&w shot with all those fans in the bleachers?
    Post more.
    That's the old Aqua Theatre at Green Lake in Seattle. The Aqua Theatre was where The Seafair Aqua Follies was held in the 50's and early 60's in Seattle...sort of an Ice Capades show with Synchronized Swimmers, High Diving, and other general water show-stuff.

In 1968 Seattle Outboard hosted the Stock Nationals on Green Lake, and the Aqua Theatre bleachers gave spectators a Birds-Eye view of the first turn. I was about 12 yrs old and had never seen an outboard race, but took the #6 Stoneway Bus from the North End down to Green Lake every day to watch those races. 4 years later I started racing. Anway, the layout of the outboard course at Green Lake made for

A final footnote about the Aqua theatre: That same summer, I saw my first rock concert there: The bill included Three Dog Night, and some new british group nobody had ever heard of called "Led Zeppelin". Good show!

Ok--now back to the pictures:

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A peek into the trailers

Who knows who these trailers belong too?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up thanks pat for the pics

Patrick,
    since I am somewhat of a "older" racer lets see if I can give some imput to who is driving in yoUr photos...
    #1 Robert Waite R-44 and 44-R
    back when I was a J racer Robert was the king of FRR with his wife Maryanne as deck rider, after his wifes passing he had Don Haack as deck rider for his last years as a driver. You can still see Robert at a few races a year in region 10 what a great driver and person, no one ever has a bad word about Robert.

#2 no doubt about it being Green Lake, the question would be what year? I see Roberts boat (rapid robert) but it almost looks like he had goggles on and I never remember him wearing any. Also the gentexs look to be in great shape, guessing here say '69?

#3 R-59 Dave Culley been racing here in region 10 for 30 plus years any way
    former crew member for the U-7 Noter Dame and crew chief for the Weisfields (Oly beer) and The Miss Budweiser.
    dave had a bad spill on a motorcycle years ago and stays away from hydros but still hyas a sit down runabout the somedays still sports a ScottAtwater on the transom

#4 Hmmm. Looks like a old boat the the Meyers family has around for years weather it was Johns or bills Im not sure, However I would tend to think this is Gary Hanson in a BOH in his rookie year sometime in the late "70's

#5 John "Crasher" Lasher John was a racer in regoin 10 for about 20 years, always fast in DSH though was either in the top 3 or upside down. When O'day got the super C thing going John, Mike Jones Mike reish and a few others hopped on the band wagon and we had at least 5 at every race.
    John was critically injured at a race in Bridgeport, Wa. in the late '70s or so, this place was way in the hell in the middle of knowwhere and they took him to the local hospital where the Dr. in charge was way over his head and he call ed Johns dad to tell him the bad news. Well it just so happened at that time Johns dad was one of the leading Head surgons in the Northwest at the time and talked the guy through the surgery that saved Johns Life. His boat was toast and he never looked the same but it was still John inside there he built a new boat which I think is the one in the pic and raced a few more years. John passed away around '87 or so someone I will miss as the lasher stories will go on for ever. John was quite the "gardner" if you ever had the chance to try his veggies there were none better!!!

Ron Anderson BOH in a A&H Hydro (Anderson and Hering)
    the only question here is is the Kilos when he blew it over or at Lawrence??

#7 Howard Anderson with the 6 looper I wonder if this was in testing as I dont se a deck rider.. also noted on the left looks to be a young John Ewing (penny Andersons youngest son) holding up the boat

#8 BoB Rhoades Zak Konig I remember when we went to Winona for the nationals Bob took 2 days to set up taking his time as he would always do, took about 2 laps in testing and kicked everyones butt that year sure was fast.... by the way Bob is retired ran into him testing with Hobart at Lk. Qunault last year he is living on the Washington Coast watching the waves roll in every day.

#9 John Karelsen 1975 Johns first ASH, this was a year or 2 after Ed got back into building outboards. this is a fuff one as when John was taked from us in a testing accident I lost a roommate and a best friend all at the same time one of the many stories I have about John is bac k in "80 I was with OMC and the king on the tour that year ( yes I remember the crazy hoarse boat Ron) and Jimbo and Fred had bottom covers in the Molinaries so the next year at the Dayton stock nationals we had one for his 20ss, FOR DAYS everyone wondered what that bottom looked like but we were doing our best to hide it... the real joke was it was just a flat bottom but I do think it got John a few places higher in the finals. John was a origional member in the Green Van racing Team.

#10 Stan Hanauer Chips dad, still to this day I dont know why Stan got a c Service but he did, raced it a year or 2 and had some fun. Classic pic Patrick.

#11 Bob Wartinger 25SS at cresent bar. this was a cool place to race, talk about small courses if you went to wide you were in the rocks on the Columiba river, if the dam let water out the course got really small but we always had a great time there, many times way to good of a time!!!

#12 this looks like Cushman Dam or Lk. Quinult back in the late "70s ASR maybe Bryan anderson abn Terry Wolcot. just a guess

Patrick post some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carl Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Default God Dog, Carl!

Carl, you almost batted 1.000 on the pics. The only one you missed was the last one, which I believe is either Powell or possibly even Darrell Sorensen. It is labelled "Lk Cushman AU", but no year or names. I would put it in the 1969-1970 timeframe, which rules out Bryan Anderson who started in 71 with Dave and Scott and I.

Thanks for adding the captions. I will get some more up soon. I got lots

R-19

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Very good Pete

I believe that's correct. David L-6, can you tell us who is hanging the motor in the trailer? BTW Pete. You must have some interesting stories to tell about yours and your Dad's racing careers. Can you share some of them with us?

David_L6

David L-6, can you tell us who is hanging the motor in the trailer?
    I guess I should know who that is??? Sorry Wayne. I don't know. The guy in the picture above looks familiar.... I don't know who he is either though.

Post Thanks / Like

Default "C" Looper

I believe that's correct. David L-6, can you tell us who is hanging the motor in the trailer? BTW Pete. You must have some interesting stories to tell about yours and your Dad's racing careers. Can you share some of them with us?
    This is about 1970.Racing Rays C looper with expansion chambers.He also had an Alky 6 deflector with sliding pipes on a 12'8" Marchetti.Who recognizes the skinny kid in the lawn chair

Post Thanks / Like

Well.......Judging by the fact that the hydro sitting next to your Dads has a "K" number, I'll guess it's Gary Pugh.

The facts he is still kinda' thin had nothing to do with it!

Cool looking motor Pete........Got any more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle
    Well.......Judging by the fact that the hydro sitting next to your Dads has a "K" number, I'll guess it's Gary Pugh.

The facts he is still kinda' thin had nothing to do with it!
    Bingo,You got it

Thread Information