Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Omc

I think that was some battery CD stuff from OMC? He cast up some aluminum exhaust adapters for the side of the block.The steel elbos were then bolted to them.I think it was last run at DePue in 73.He dumped it in turn 2

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ignition

In 1970 Ray had some cast aluminum brackets for Konigs to bolt on OMC CD ignition components. Tim Chance did an article on the system in Hydroplane Quarterly.

BTW David L6, I had thought that driver with the motor lived in Monroe, not too far from you. I looked him up in an old roster and he is from DeWitt, Ark. That was Jerry McMillan. The other guy was Lucky Lund from San Antonio--Artie's brother.

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    The other guy was Lucky Lund from San Antonio--Artie's brother.
    Now I know why he looks familiar! I've seen him at the races a time or three...

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default RAY NYDAHL's - Quincy C Looper - Oh Boy! The Tower!

When I saw the picture of Ray Nydahl's Quincy C Looper Flathead with the expansion chambers a few frames back, I did a double take, printed a copy of the motor, went out to the trailer and there is that same tower housing sitting here too never mind that I have that neat front case Pete's Dad had cast up for special reeds and the Tillotson HD Floatless SnowMo carbs. I used the tower to test 2 carb, 3 cylinder Mercs and Mariners on before forgetting about those as dead issues for racing. I have a Quincy C Flathead here going through a slow rebuild and this is the first picture I have ever seen the Flathead with the expansion chambers on it with a Merc front case and I assume Carter Model N carbs with the adapted ignition. I have a picture of Andy Anderson's Quincy C Flathead reversed on the tower and with expansion chambers too. Did Ray Nydahl have anything to do with that engine too?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backwards Looper

John,I'm not sure if Ray had anything to do with that engine or not.Post a pic if you can.He did have that special front have engine monted backwards with expansion chambers too,I have no pics of it though.Wayne I have an article from Powerboat Mag,March 1972 about him adapting the OMC ignition to Konigs.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about that one Pete. We had problems with ours the whole 1970 season and quit running them. We never figured out what was causing the ignition to come and go. When it was working it worked good. But the slightest mist would cause ours to become erratic. We never tried so many ways to keep water out of the motor as we did that year. In fact, now that I am thinking about it, I had to learn different driving strategies to avoid water and to pay attention to potential situations coming up on the race course. Your Dad ran it successfully, Ray Hardy ran it and at least one driver at Lakeland in 1971 came up to us singing the praises of that ignition system. Ray must have corrected whatever was causing our problem, but I never found out what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Springfield 1979

Over half of this bunch is still racing today
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default A great historical photo Pete

I'm glad someone had the presence of mind to gather you all together for this photo. I know a few, but not all of them. From L-R who is in this crowd?

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks pete

Pete,THANKS FOR THE PICS AND POSTS.THE SPRINGFIELD PIC IS GREAT.PLEASE KEEP THE POSTS COMING.IF YOU HAVE PICS OF YOU AND YOUR DADS BOATS.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pete keep up the photos and stories

Joe Rome and I were talking on the phone a little earlier. We both decided it would be super cool if you and the remaining racers could get together for a 25 year reunion photo. Maybe at DePue and some of the retired gang could show as well.

Thread Information