Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

Default I remember those

Mercury used to sell them under the name "Safe-Jac"

It was mostly OPC'rs who I saw wearing them, including all the Team Mercury boys of the day. They were worn under the Gentex jacket........I don't remember seeing anyone wear one after Simpson and Lifeline first got into the life jacket game. I remember some of the Inboard guys having them as well......All with Gentex jackets.

I remember reading somewhere they were originally designed to be worn outside a snowmobile suit or winter gear. Most of the outer area had sewn on nylon (plastic? teflon?) panels that were meant to help deflect sticks and bush a rider might encounter while on a sled. I don't believe I remember seeing anywhere it had or added impact resistance.........But for awhile, it seems everyone had one!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Modern version??

Simple Google search revealed this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default That's right Jeff.

I saw them used only with Gentex, although in the beginning there may have been one or two Texas boys run them under a Lifeline. I was thinking Simpson and Lifeline later incorporated some such protection inside, next to the body. Never owned one so don't know.

I didn't have the Safe Jac model. It looks more comfortable. I had to trim mine forward of the arm and shoulder area so I could comfortably kneel low in the cockpit with arms stretched forward. If not it would bite into my shoulders and be distracting. I always tested fully suited up so everything I had on would feel natural when racing. So my Safe Jacket was trimmed then duct taped.

I don't remember Dan Kirts mentioning needing any protection from branches or sticks. I remember him saying it helps when you get hit with a sled ski.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bob Hering

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    ....I figured someone on BRF could make the i.d.

mbd29---how's about pointing yourself out and identifying the others?
    Bob's body has many car tissues including bones. When I lived in Winter Haven, FL in the early 70's while working for OMC, Bob took a nasty flip while testing at Lake X. I visited him in the hospital, I believe in Orlando, and he appeared to have a body cast that if my memory is correct covered at least half of his body. Bob always recovered and never let these severe injuries keep him out of the cockpit. A lot of us had nasty blow overs & barrel roles in non capsule boats and can talk about them today, but we also lost a lot of friends from that era as a result of severe incidences in non capsule boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Impact is immenant

You can see that in just a split second the enormous force of impact. The spray in the second frame is just spray flying forward from the point of impact which is about 40' to the left. Now you can see why mbd29 thought the worst. And why so many went out and bought a safe jacket.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

got to be goin 65mph or better to skim like that,

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's tough..........

.........but skimmin's better than just stoppin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hall Y51 View Post
    Who is the little blonde head boy.He has to be around my age.
    That would be me. Springfield '77 was my first race, ever. I had one of the first Y-80's and ran it on a Sid Craft borrowed from the Nydahls. I remember having a close race with Eileen Van Stenwyk.

There's another pic from the Winona '76 driver's meeting. Standing, right side of frame is Gary. Winona '76 was Gary's first race. He ran a Konig 125 on the second boat he built.

David Weaver, I agree, LaCrosse '80 has to be the worst race attempt ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few tourist at the 2003 Alexandria USTS event.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

That was the last race I have been to Eric, and the first for my kids. It was a great time and I really enjoyed seeing a bunch of my old friends. Didn't even get to talk to everyone. The only disappointing thing of that race was the kids didn't get to see any 500 or 700 hydros run as there were not enough to put on a race.

Thread Information