Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Page, how many boats and races were on the Yugoslav race scene back then? Were there a lot of races or did a racer have to travel around Europe to get in a season of racing? Did the Russian and Polish racers ever come to Yugoslavia for races other than major title races?
    There were not a lot of boats but we had boats in almost all the classes from smallest SJ (sport junior) to the biggest ON (formula-1).
    We used to have 12-15 races a year and mostly racers from Italy, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Poland, Czechoslovakia and Bulgaria would come to Yugoslavia to race.
    The way boat racing was organized in the “Third World Country” is that all the expenses were paid,,,,, well in the other words, you would get your tow gas paid in full, you would get your race gas paid in full, Hotel room in the BEST hotel in town would be reserved and paid for you and your three crew members including food in the hotel restaurant (anything from the menu ), and when you are at the race site sandwiches would be given to the each team. On the end of the race weekend there was always a diner party and that’s where the trophies were given away. At the end of the season every driver would get paid accordingly to their points and before each season every team would get small budget from the government as a help.
    You can imagine my surprise when I’ve seen the way boat racing was done here in USA.
    Page
    http://www.spnmotorsports.com

Go Fast - Turn Left!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Page, thanks for the info.

Wayne, do you know were those two Butts came from?
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure Eric, but here are some possibilities.

I think Tim may have sold his after the race in Italy. Joe could confirm that.

The two following pictures were taken in Linz, Austria where we raced on the Danube. One of the Butts' was Tim's and I believe it was bought and shipped over by Tom Jones from South Africa. It was either him or Rheinhart Schultz, also South African that was racing here. But I believe it was Tom. You can see that he went through the right cockpit.

The other pic is my boat "TEX" that was designed to run in rough water and shipped to Berlin in 1978. While it tested good in South Texas wind driven rough water, it was a sponson tipped coffin for the European river racing with barge traffic and swells. We tried it at Linz, then sold it to MC Steglitz, a racing club in Berlin.

Hey where did the pic buttons go? Now I know what you meant Eric. I'll look around and try something. Leave it up to BRF for continuiing education on computer skills for us illiterates.

Well, I couldn't get the insert image thingy to do anything but beep.

Post Thanks / Like

We can use the insert image thing if the pic is hosted on another site, photobucket etal. To do so, I think it's "copy image location" then "paste" on BRF. In my case, the pic is on www.fullmoonbusclub.com . If you look closely behind the boat, you will see a 1972 VW Transporter with a Doormobile camper conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Test, test, photo test.
    This is from the 1986 OSY world championship in Nottingham, England. I'm #66, squatting, talking to my bluehaired, English team mate #99 Joanne Chesman. #38 is Claudia Knape from Germany.

Post Thanks / Like

So Joanne Chesman is related to Andy Chesman?.....and Claudia Knape (sp?) to Ekkehard Knappe? Just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct about the Chesman's. Joanne had two younger sister's. The middle was Andrea, the youngest name escapes me. Andrea married Paul Noone, who would later win the 500cc world championship. Paul was competing in OSY at the '86 event. We were involved in a collision, each blaming the other I'm pretty sure Claudia is Ekkehard's daughter. Her brother, Knute, is racing OSY currently.

Post Thanks / Like

That's cool you raced with kids of the of the guys I raced with. Ekkehard was having good success in rough water running a tunnel in OC. My Butts "Tex" was bought by Motor Club Steglitz with the express purpose of using it to help train youngsters coming up. I imagine Han's Krage's daughter may have driven it some along with others.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, Eric---here's those two Butts pickleforks. Incidentally, the Germans called the conventional kneeler hydros "flunder" like the fish because of the bow shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Deiter right in there too!!

He is bending over the engine with his hand on the flywheel.

Thread Information