Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Umbrella Hats

Hey Wayn, I remember getting one of those hats. I believe I got it at a race in Texas, Fort Worth maybe? I had to be about 10 or 11 at the time. It was the coolest thing. I though it was red and white but it must have been yellow.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Brock A Brella Colors

Doug:

Yours may have very well been red and white. We got them in assorted colors. Red and yellow were just one combination. Based on personal experience I would trust your memory from that age a lot more than when you get older.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a pic of you with your red and yellow somewhere Bill. I came across this one with Ray wearing his favorite flavor. The photo was taken in my Dad's front yard at the last race we held there in 1977. That's Eileen about to leave the pits in her Formula 350.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope I didn't miss it ...

Hey Wayne ... what do you have in the way of photos and stories from the 1973 APBA Alky Nationals ...

Hey Gleason ... more of your picture collection too ... Please!!!

Post Thanks / Like

No Dr. Thunder I wish I did have photos but I didn't make it. My Dad and Tim Butts started working on UIM promotion in 1972 and the U.S. was awarded the World Championships for classes OA, OD, and OF. NOA was dead on the vine, AOF was just starting and in a big meeting at Gravois Mills the year before most of us decided to go APBA. My Dad convinced Carl Rylee at Alexandria that we needed to go that way and that's where the first PRO class UIM World Championships were held (at least in modern times)in the U.S. The Nationals were held the prior week. As we were deeply involved in trying to get the international racing off the ground, we had to get to Alex early to make sure all was ready. It was very unfortunate on the timing, but that's the way it was and I missed the nationals that year.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How about '73 Worlds ...

I don't recall seeing any photos from the Worlds in 73 ... have you posted them? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes...part of them......

..........I haven't posted any under any thread named UIM World's 73, but they are scattered among Random Shots From the Pits, Where the Action Is, and Lone Star Boat Racing Association.

When I first started posting pics on BRF there was no plan at all. I just picked up a binder and posted some. The scanner was terribly slow. I have a faster one but I haven't been able to network it. Anyway, I just bounced around posting pics depending on who had some threads going. If there was something posted that I had a photo of that person or event going, I would go find a negative or slide scan and post. Consequently, my darkroom that I had just straightened out and was going to finally finish became a disaster again.

I am trying to get in back in order to finish it, but in the meantime I have tried to stick to one or two or three themes and get them done. I also had to start making a mark on the slides so I remember whether or not they have been posted. Don't have a good system for the B&W negs yet.

That's why I haven't posted much on Lone Star, Action or Random Shots lately (besides my scanner crapping out). I have mostly been concentrating on the Amazing Story to get it done and finished. I started it in the middle of the Bill Holland story which has yet to be finished. There is a lot of history I have in my files that have yet to be started because if I confuse myself by jumping around so much, how can anyone else follow it. There are a lot of pics of the 73 UIM World to be posted along with stories, but I need to kind of get caught up. But if there is anything in particular you are interested in Dr. Thunder, please let me know. I always read your stuff and you are in a particularly heavy area in the history of boat racing that makes good reading.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Wayne ...

I'll try to be patient I know this stuff takes time. What you are adding to this site is truly appreciated by everyone of us that frequent this place. It's what keeps us coming back ... thanks so much ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Wayne, I can help you some. Since you did't say which ones you recognized I will give you the ones I do. 1st picture, Peer Krage in the castrol boat, 2nd Scott Smith on the right selling parts and I believe Charlie Huff on the left, 3rd Bernie Little on right, 4th Gerry Drake with beard. Certainly enjoy seeing all your pictures.
    Sitting behind Gerry Drake is Marc Johnson (MJR) and to his left is Melvin Cooper Jr.

Burkhardt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waldemar Marszalek

Have found some photos of Wademar when he raced back in the day

Here's a question for you - what's the name of the guy in the blue overalls with his hand on Waldemar's shoulder. He too was an incredibly successful racer in his time, in the lower cc classes - 0-250, 0-350
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information