Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Agree With TART....Except

Front row, Bill DeSilva, Ralph DeSilva and Dick O'Dea...

BVack row, with white Cowboy hat looks like Rocky Stone...

I saw Billy Jack Rucker Jr. at Bakerfield, last weekend....Maybe that is Billy Jack Rucker Sr.... (I'm with Alan, I never called him Bill....It was Billy Jack Rucker, Sr....) but honestly don't know anyone on the back row...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    Do you know if Lloyd Campbell is still living in Needles and is a member here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lloyd Campbell

Last I heard, Lloyd was living in Texas, still will Santa Fe Railroad and Burlington Northern. I don't think he's a member...I'll ask Ernie Dawe, today, if he has an address for Lloyd...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    I think it is Rocky as well. Great old gentlemen. Remember when he was running one of the jonrudes and the fly wheel came off and lit inside the boat with him. Spun the butt end out of his pants. Loved dropping his drawers and showing the "cherry strudel" as he called it to anyone who would look.

Also Billy Jack Rucker took delivery on a new Marschetti(SP?) and had to rig it up sitting next to the VFW in Depue. Finishing it, he took that big six out for a test run. In those days he was not wearing goggles and going down the back straightaway he hit a bug. Biggest non-fight shiner I'd ever seen. What a whollop he took from that one.

Ray

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alan---I will from now on call him Billy Jack. I never really knew him personally as in sitting around bs-ing, but I knew him well from the race course and by reputation preceeding him before I had the priviledge of knowing him on the water. I didn't know he was Billy Jack until BRF.

As far as the photo is concerned, I feel there must be something in common these guys shared. I didn't get the group together. I just took advantage of getting a photo of some legends from outboard racing grouped together. There are a couple I recognize but can't put the name together. Maybe some one else might if we can figure a common thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Alan...I don't know what happened at Phoenix that you feel you didn't drive that new DeSilva hydro you were rigging up very well. What I was wondering was which pair of shoes were you testing in the second photo.

We all know the front row guys. So what's left is the back row. It seems to be a consensus that Rocky Stone is to the left. If that's the case, I am very proud to have a photo in my collection of that gentelman because I never realized it before. To Rocky's left is Mel Kirts. It is in front of the Kirts' trailer that this photo was taken. We don't have a positive ID yet on the taller gentleman between and behind Mel and Billy Jack. Then it is Johnny Dortch with his Master Oil coveralls with his arm around the unidentified person to the far right.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Default Funny Part...

The gentleman to the far right, looks like Ralph DeSilva...Trouble is, Ralph is on the bottom row...

Great picture... but hell, I don't know!!!

ADD: Master Oil, you have some TOTALLY COOL, BITCHIN, GREAT pictures....Thanks for sharing your life with us!!!

LAST ADD:

Alan, Ernie said, Lloyd Campbell isn't in Texas, but he e-mailed him...Maybe, we can get him on board here!!!He may have left Santa Fe and Burlington Northern Railroad... Hell, maybe, he retired!!!!

Your dad was a Chicken Sexer, until he eyes went bad...do you know the "SECRET" of chicken sexing???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sharing lives

Ron....It's the rest of us I think that has to thank you for sharing your life with us. If not for YOU I would have had a whole darkroom full of pics, (well at least the transparencies) going bad. Your example on sharing what's going on in the boat racing world besides just photos of boats on the water makes this whole website fantastic. The road stories and pics are great. The tales about telephone calls or visting racers at your place or theirs are great. It brings the everyday personal touch that I can remember from my racing days back. It reminds me of my Dad and Jack Chance. It reminds me of stopping at a fresh fruit stand on the way to a race. It reminds me of the music, the towns, the people , the smell and the excitement of racing. Thanks to you and Ted there is a LOT of sharing of lives from many boat racers.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wayne, I know just what you mean

I can almost smell the castor oil when looking at the website. Certainly stimulates the mind of us old timers. Ralph and Bill built us some really nice boats. Just couldn't keep from crashing them. Sorry anout that 'boys." Tried everything, thought it may have been the shoes.
    Still think it could be Lon, top right. He and Ralph were the only ones who used to wear those Gilligan's Isaland type hats? Could the tall gentleman be our friend from FLA, Gene Apel?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one to start with Corin.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information