Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233

Thread: Random shots from the pits

Post Thanks / Like

With a quick glance, and I don't have time to say the pic #'s , I see:

Reggie Fountain, Bob Nordskog, Billy Seebold, and more I can't name right now!

Got to go!

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that's smokin' on a one mile course John. I didn't have any rule books with records after 1978. AND none of my books show any one mile records for OPC. I didn't know you guys ever ran surveyed 1 mile courses. So this is some good historical information for me. BTW, how long did your record stand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Now that's smokin' on a one mile course John. I didn't have any rule books with records after 1978. AND none of my books show any one mile records for OPC. I didn't know you guys ever ran surveyed 1 mile courses. So this is some good historical information for me. BTW, how long did your record stand?
    That would take some time to look up but my 1 2/3 5 mile will always be,, they changed the name of the class so you know how that works !!

Post Thanks / Like

John I wish someone would come up with a book that had not only the current records, but all the perpetual ones and including all records that were ever established. It would be like tree rings on a tree if it could be recorded properly.

It would be a difficult undertaking as Mike Ward could tell you. Especially when crucial records are destroyed in a fire and you have to go one by one to different individuals who may have ratholed some of their own personal records.

What I would like to see is not only the records that made it to the next years rule book, but all records broken throughout the year with all the pertinent information. I'm sure that there are many throughout the years that had everything together at a relatively rare event that was sanctioned for records and set a record only to have it broken before that racing year was over. I would like to see a publication of every driver, boat, motor and owner that set a record throughout a racing year. It could show how the racing evolved.

For instance, some records may show a 3 mph jump when it may have actually been broken once earlier in the year then twice at the latest race. Of course when a record is broken more than once at the same race the fastest one only should be published.

That's just some of my thoughts. I know all records can't be kept into perpetuity in the rulebook, but it would be great to have a place of reference to see how the boat racing world changed and moved along.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure it is all filed away in APBA HQ, but it would take months to bring it all back to order and sense. If I hit the lottery, I'd do it

Time for us to take "Random Shots" to part 2 as well. We will make the break soon.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

As I get older more than once I have gone back to look at records and I find, like I always knew, records and driver accomplishments are almost impossible to come up with. The year I set the Mod U Kilo Record and was inducted into the 125 MPH Club I had someone ask me how many drivers in the world have gone that fast in an outboard. I searched for an answer and never was happy with anything I could find. To tell you the truth, for my own ego, I was looking to see where I stood in the grand total of those who have reached that kind of speed up to that time. I always felt we were a small group but never could put the numbers together. To this day I don't think I was ever able to go to the UIM site and find my name. Even accomplishments such as how many Region Highpoints you as a driver have won cannot be found.

Sorry for getting off track on this thread,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

No---Don't think you are getting off track John. That's a response I hadn't expected, but to the point. I didn't know there was a 125 MPH club. I suspect there were not enough to publish the names. But there should be a reference of all the drivers that have acheived that.

Joe Rome and I were discussing the transition speeds in outboards only a few months earlier and we were recalling our discussions with Tim Butts about the subject. We had definite opinions about transition points with hydros, and I don't know what the transition points were with you OPC guys, but things also start changing around 120. I wonder if anyone out there has a list of the 125+ drivers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Link to Part 2: Random Shots

This is the end of part 1 for internet technical reasons. The thread is locked to prevent problems with preserving the data. The thread continues on part 2.

Here is the link to part 2: http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=4234
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information