Thread: Random shots from the pits

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakeland

Quote Originally Posted by F-12
    Wayne.............You used a turn fin at Lakeland?........Just kidding. I think from what I remember, we set it at it's highest adjustment and since it was the long course, you just kept the wheel set at about 15 degrees and pretty much hung on for the ride. Here's the finish line photo that was taken by a local TV station. This was one year the entire race (both days) was covered by a local TV station. Walt said before that I was a show off, and I proved it.
    Actually Charley, when I set the "C" & "D" records driving O'Dea's equipment in 1969, that's just what I did, had the wheel cranked slightly & shifted my weight forward & back again to adjust for buoy locatiions. While setting the "C" record I was actually ducking under the pylons. What was also interesting was that in the 1st heat I finished 3rd behind Dub Parker, senior moment, can't recall his name, the mayor of Carbon Cliff, IL. Anyway, Walt says to Dick, give me that prop. He took it to the trailer hitch on Dick's car and gave it back for the second heat. Wow, did it ever take off, plua I had a better start.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry about that..............

I guess the pictures I have are too big and I'm too computer stupid to get them to upload. The ones I have are great, though, including the Quincy 44 flathead that made my aerowing feel 'really small'. I'll try to get them shrunk down to where they will fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Random Shots........

Walt did have a way with the ball peen and trailer hitch. I remember out at lake Matty (sp) testing with Dick, Jeff Hutchins, John Yale, and Dieter, Walt was tweeking on my D and after drilling jets, height up and down, more pressure, less pressure, and finally banging on the prop, he said "Make 1 lap and come in, you're ready". What a big difference from when we started.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Random shots..........

Did it show up this time?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Charley Bradley

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Racing at Lakeland

Charles---The shadow on your boat is deceiving, but the spray indicates not much contact so I was wondering how you had it set. At Lakeland you only need a light touch, kind of like a guitarist with his little finger on the box just for a little control. Glad you tried posting the photo, it worked. Now you are going to fine tune your skills. Would like to see any photos you may have of Walt's shop. And what about that spider?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lakeland and the spider..........

From what I remember the turn fin was probably only 3 or so inches under the sponson. Walt thought that since we would be flying it most of the way around and didn't need to do any drastic turning I could get away with it shallow. Turned out he was right. Loved that hydro!
    The spider story I thought sure you had heard from Walt. If you remember toward the back right side of the shop was a bathroom. And in that bathroom Walt had a magazine that had been there for probably 10 years or so that nobody ever read. One day while I was in there, I saw a spider crawl out of the center of the magazine and crawl back in. Not a real big one but had lots of potential. During the course of about 9 or 10 months I put hamburger and whatever else I thought this animal would eat around where I saw him crawl out of and every day whatever I put down would disappear. As you can imagine, it was getting good size with all the protein he was putting away. One day a boat racer and his wife showed up to see Walt. I was working on the lathe on the far wall and had a pretty good view of the bathroom door. This guy's wife went in, sat down, and decided she wanted to read for a minute. The next thing I heard was a blood-curdling scream, the door to the bathroom flies open and she comes out at a dead run with her shorts around her ankles and continues out into the parking lot. We never did see the spider after that. We think she scared it away.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default LaCrosse Wisconson 1980

LaCrosse Wisconson--The city with the most bars and cheese on a single city street.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Winona Minnesota-Oly Pro Nationals 1976

Winners got an Olympia Beer stein. Very nice. And they paid off with bi-centennial silver dollars in an Olympia serving tray. Very unique. Bob and Marilyn Smith and other organizers did an excellent job in putting on the Winona events.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just looking through some of my pictures from Dupue and Winnona. I thought that I would put a few up of some old friends from the pits. Dickie Scopinich is the first pic, the next is the G86 crew, third pic is Jimmy Gohery, forth is Rex Hall, and the last one is Ron Anderson and Phil Wagner.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 07-13-2005 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Resized images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's a few from Winona 1974...Eastern Divisionals

It was our first trip to Winona. The last time we had gone to Minnesota was for the NOA Nationals in 1968. On that trip interstate 35 was not complete. It stopped abruptly either in Northern Iowa or Southern Minnesota. There was a blockade where it stopped. Just beyond that one of those multiwheeled towed vechicles full of dirt that was used for compacting the roadbed. We exited at that point on one of the most dangerous stretches of highway in the U.S. I think it was about 21 miles long with maybe 21 narrow bridges, and a very narrow road. Lot of deaths on that stretch.

Six years later we are on the way to Winona, and there at the very same place was the same blockade. Beyond that was that same compactor unit with weeds and small trees growing in the dirt inside of it. I don't remember about the first time, but this time there were signs posted at both entrances of that dangerous stretch telling how many people had died there in the last year. But we always loved to race at Winona.

Thread Information