Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions and suggestions on a utility runabout

Rumrunner
    Post Thanks / Like

Default opinions and suggestions on a utility runabout

Hello to all! This is a heckuva first post but I've got a lot of help from this board over the last two years as a "lurker". I'm not a class racer but am a racer. We race in the local rivers with 40 horse ob's (at least thats what all the covers say) on 12 to 14 foot fiberglass boats. To be competitive you've gotta run 70 plus. We're running about 70-71 gps now. I'm thinking the hull weighs about 250lbs +/- (about as light as we can get it as it is still 14'). The boat is manufactured in Georgetown,SC and is called a "Fast Craft" It has a vee bottom with a 6" or so pad. The motor is a much modded nissan/tohatsu three holer on a 15" mid with transom-mounted low water pickup. Custom jackplate with 5" of setback used to get the bullit up. Cavitation plate is usually about 5" above the bottom. Last prop tried was a D A H 23" cleaver. It was the 70mph+ prop turning less than 6000 rpm's at the end of our straight(!) - it should be turning 7200 -7500 at that speed according to everyone else. Guess at this point I shoulda axed Ron Hill for some prop help. BUT - I had a brainstorm. What about an old utility runabout? I could get one of these by these guys without too much s**t "because its wood and it ain't a hydro" and they have never been outrun by a wood boat. Aren't the utility runabouts light enough (maybe 100+ lbs lighter than our boat) and fast enough to be an advantage over the fiberglass hull? If so, I'm thinking chop the mid to ten inches and lose the jackplate. Can't run a Bass mid or a real racing L/U but we have installed a nosecone and streamlined the lower. I really don't know but I'm thinking a D or E class runabout? Opinions and suggestions? I'm trying to get some pic's today of the boat and the setup to post. What say you oh sage guru's of the water and wind?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have the right thing in mind. Old motors are easier to find than old boats if you are thinking used ... if you are thinking new, there are builders who will build you a good boat and plans for older obsolete for racing designs that may work. Some thing in the D/E/F size will probably work ... but for your motor these will be straightaway boats ... won't turn very well on a circle course because they are very flat bottomed.

You should try to come to the Wilson, NC race in a few weeks (May 2, 3 & 4) ... bring your fellow racers. You may see stuff you like.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
    Hello to all! This is a heckuva first post but I've got a lot of help from this board over the last two years as a "lurker". I'm not a class racer but am a racer. We race in the local rivers with 40 horse ob's (at least thats what all the covers say) on 12 to 14 foot fiberglass boats. To be competitive you've gotta run 70 plus. We're running about 70-71 gps
    if you can run 70 miles per hour with a 40 horse and a club foot on a runabout you dont need our help we need yours but i do like wood boots here is a dandy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark75H; 04-16-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    David Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, that's quite an unusual boat and unusual motor. NH registration? Who is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Dave, that's quite an unusual boat and unusual motor. NH registration? Who is it?
    well if you cant tell a mark 75 h who could look close it has De SILVA decals i do Not known the driver. Old helmet and jaket but a newer DeSILVA plus low transom hight
    David Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Old helmet but not old jacket that is the lastest life jacket avalible so its not that old of a picture.
    Your Never To Old To Win

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david bryan View Post
    well if you cant tell a mark 75 h who could look close it has De SILVA decals i do Not known the driver. Old helmet and jaket but a newer DeSILVA plus low transom hight
    I said I didn't know the driver ... not that I didn't know the motor and boat.

Low transom is weird with a 75H, they are slightly longer than a 55H, looks like that motor is runnin'

deep.

If you don't know who it is ... do you know where you found the picture? (I think I might know who the guy is)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I said I didn't know the driver ... not that I didn't know the motor and boat.

Low transom is weird with a 75H, they are slightly longer than a 55H, looks like that motor is runnin'

deep.

If you don't know who it is ... do you know where you found the picture? (I think I might know who the guy is)
    some time at night after a beer or two i dont read the post as well as i shoud i went to googel one day and looked for De silva boats i have known Bill and RALPH for about 50 yearsand was looking for a drag boat they built
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    David Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david bryan View Post
    some time at night after a beer or two i dont read the post as well as i shoud i went to googel one day and looked for De silva boats i have known Bill and RALPH for about 50 yearsand was looking for a drag boat they built
    looks like the guy in the de sivlva is Phil Chick* if that helps let me know 75 h
    David Bryan

bill boyes

The drag hydro was built by Ralph's and Billy's father. I remember it leaving the shop in Culver City. About 1958.

Thread Information