Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing Engine Sounds

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we'll be waiting a little longer ... that CD was a dud it won't play.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Awwwwwwwwwww crap!

Allen J. Lang

OK. lets get the people who still have loopers in their collections, especially the 6s, get them together with some sound equipment and turn them loose.
    Let's wake up the neighborhoods. They were awsome in their day.
    Ye Olde Desert Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, but like I said, I bought the last TWO copies, I just played the second one.

IT WORKS!!

I will send this one priority mail in the morning.

Hang in there a little while longer!

The Summers vs Walgrave Symphony is on the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sam,

"Where's the beef", I mean where's the music??

Post Thanks / Like

Gene, sorry its taking so long. Still having lots of problems with the disks.

The audio player quality is acceptable, but there are issues with the digital recording; they can't be downloaded due to errors on the disk about half way thru (not copy protection for those who are thinking in the more advanced mode, just plain digital errors; the stick on labels came off in the players and messed up among other things, stopped them from even being loaded into a slot type player). We will have to make real old fashioned analog audio recordings to new digital ... the sound quality will be off quite a bit.

I'll send the CD's back to you.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question 4-6 cylinder mercury sounds

Quote Originally Posted by David Mason View Post
    There is no better tune than the sweet sounding 6 Looper. I have yet to hear a band that can rival this sound, and never will.

And yes Gene, you fire up a True 6 Cyl Looper at any Mod race and just about every head will turn. It still gets the hair on the back of my neck to stand up when I think about how sweet sounding those are.
    When I was a boy, back in the late 50's I used to go to the races with a friend of mine whose father (Luke Boykin) raced in the old Southeastern Boating Association. At that time he held the kilo speed records in C & D classes at 65 and 75 MPH respectively. What I remember most is the incredible noise these engines made! There were no stacks or megaphones like we have today, seems like the exhaust came right out of very short stubby exhaust housings. I remember that from the side when he launched the boat you could see the pistons going back and forth through the exhaust ports. The fuel was alky, nitro, and castor oil. They must have used a lot more castor back then because the smell was almost overpowering and the engine sounds could be heard for miles! Does anyone remember those days (maybe Lyle) and are my memories essentially correct?

Post Thanks / Like

The sound of an Allison (Unlimited hydro)

http://www.lesliefield.com/audio_video/Allison.ra

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Porterj's memories

Your memories are right on the money....

I believe the exhaust system you are remembering is called the "syncratone" or some such. I don't know whether I have the spelling correct or not, but I had one that I replaced the stock exhaust on a 30H with in the mid to late 50's. I lived in one side of a duplex in an ordinary neighborhood at the time and used to put the motor in a 55 gal drum with a test prop on it and adjust the carbs. I can still remember the echo through the neighborhood. Strangely enough I never had a complaint. Either everyone liked the sound or people were a lot more tolerant then. I had the drum under a carport closed in on two sides, and it really echoed back and forth. Probably one of the many reasons I can't hear any more. The pistons were visable just an inch or so back in the individual ports for each cylinder, that were open to atmosphere.

As to the smell, I think that was more something that was used to keep the castor and alky mixed than anything. Smelled kind of like shoe polish. I used to be able to remember the name of it, but can't recall it now. It was an "emulsifier" so as to keep the castor and fuel from separating. When I quit using castor and went to "Blendzall" it used something that smelled different to accomplish the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    It was an "emulsifier" so as to keep the castor and fuel from separating.
    I used to use Benzine in my nitro mixes, acetone and tolueyne was also used by some to keep the mix from seperating.

The nitro mix smelled really unique.

Thread Information