I came home a few minutes ago and saw this really sad news in my local paper.

He had been sick for quite some time and he knew he wasn't going to be around long. He told us that last summer. But his poor health didn't stop him from going to Bay City to see his sons (Randy and Terry) race.

Jan was a such a gentle soul, and could always be found traveling the country with his brother (John) and being his pit crew when he ran his Sport-C.

And he was SO proud of his boys.

I'm sure going to miss seeing Jan's warm, smiling face at the races, and Brad is going to miss the long chats he had with him at the Rinker race shop in Syracuse.

RIP Jan. Godspeed.

Jan E. Rinker
Nov. 25, 1932-March 15, 2005
SYRACUSE, Ind. — Jan Ensley Rinker, 72, 201 E. Greenhouse, died at 12 a.m. Tuesday at his daughter’s home following a battle with cancer.
He was born Nov. 25, 1932, in Grant County, to Lossie and Mae (Pursifull) Rinker.
He had moved to Syracuse in 1956 from Indianapolis.
He was a retired boat builder and designer.
He was a veteran of the Army and had served during the Korean War. He was a member of the McDonald’s coffee crew and enjoyed racing boats.
He is survived by two daughters, Sandy (Jack) Angel and Tracy (Mark) Sumpter, both of Syracuse; two sons, Randy (Lisa) Rinker, Syracuse, and Terry (Susy) Rinker, Tampa, Fla.; three sisters, Joan Exner and Jackie (John) Lahne, both of Indianapolis, and Barbara (Paul) Markley, Syracuse; three brothers, John (Bev) Rinker and Jim Rinker, Syracuse, and Jerry (Kit) Rinker, Houston; and nine grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Wawasee Community Bible Church, Syracuse.
The memorial service will begin at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the church, with the Rev. Jack Rants officiating.
Memorial contributions may be directed to Centers for Palliative Care, 111 Sunnybrook Court, South Bend.