Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Joe Rome: Stafford Auto Supply

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    It was confusing John, the way I wrote it. I combined instances from both the Lone Star and DePue Reunion and it came out kind of messed up. That's what I get for trying to get in a hurry and not proof read. I was not trying to cut short anyone's efforts in the success of any of the Reunions. They were all great as far as I am concerned and you are at the top of the heap for praise. Just go back and read al my posts regarding that very first one at DePue in 2007. While it's not an excuse or justifiable, I just have a hard time reading what I write on the computer anymore. I have to bend over close and turn my next up, then lift up my glasses to see what I wrote. Sometimes my back and neck just hurt too much from previous computer work to go back over what I wrote, and I have to scan from left to right because I cannot see the whole sentence very well. That's why I don't post so much anymore.

I'm am sorry if you took it that I wasn't giving you any credit, but I was trying to short cut to the point where Joe and Russ became friends. Becaise that was the point on this thread about Joe. I rushed my post out Thursday night before I left for East Texas, and just back in today. I have not heard from Joe since a couple of days before I left nor since I got back. Maybe he got confused by my story too and thought I was getting dementia and was afraid to call. Anyway, I will try to do better, but I will need to keep my stories shorter because proofreading cricks my neck now.
    Wayne, I guess my response didn’t come of right either. I meant no offense to you at all, just was a little confused about the transition from the alone Star reunion to Depue. I’m not a glory hound nor did I intend to stir up anything. I put a lot of prep time in to that reunion & it was overwhelmingly popular & a lot of fun.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand John. I didn't get it either when I first read it last night. When I originally started out writing about the Lone Star Reunion, Debbie wanted help with a big suitcase. When I got back to the computer a little bit later, I continued on with the part about DePue without reading what I had previously written, so last night was the first time I read it through. I'm going to leave everything just as it was because anyone else reading later will wonder what the heck we're talking about now.

It serves as an example of what I told my mechanics at Alice Specialty Co. "If I ever call you to come to the office, finish up what you are working on first." Of course they knew I didn't mean an overhaul or anything like that, but when you stop without a logical stopping point, something is going to be left loose or out or whatever else that could go wrong. But when Debbie calls, I come. After all I'm not working on anything important any more.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wise, Wayne. In aviation, there were required turn-over meetings between shifts and a turn-over log describing the works in progress. There were also tags or flags to hang on items that were being worked but unfinished to describe status. Before such programs were put in place, there were several instances where either one shift took over from another, or one mechanic from another, without adequate briefings, and the plane went back into service without the work completed…and crashed.

Post Thanks / Like

I myself have messed up by starting and stopping work on switching out a turbocharger, but nothing so critical as what you were describing Steve. It was one of my top mechanics that suggested that policy, and he knew what he was talking about. A little bit digressing off the Joe Rome thread, but not quite. Joe's business revolves around changing parts, fluids, filters, hoses, etc. He's deeply involved in helping people who are not only professionals, but many who don't know exactly what they are doing but need help. Joe knows his stuff. He is not a national chain with an HR department, and all that stuff. Joe can find stuff that no one else can. I had a local O'Brien store ship me two different starters that were wrong. I called up Joe and he told me what I needed and I had the auto shop call Joe. This shop had always been good, but something was different about the starter and after Joe talked to the shop foreman, I got the right starter.

When my Son-in-Law went back to Afghanistan a few years ago Steve, he went back this time as a mechanic for a private contractor. He started up in Masuri Al Sharif, which was relatively safe. Before he went he had to buy all his own tools and toolbox, then he spent many hours laying out his tools and spray painting them on a background. Each and every tool had its own slot. That was one of the requirements. As a former avionics guy in the marines flying in an H=53, he knew exactly why there was this policy. After several months went by the head guy for the mechanics went for two weeks leave. My Som-in-Law had by that time gotten such a reputation for his work, he was put in charge as they never had a second in command while he was there. One day a tool went missing. My Son-n-law called in the mechanic who was working on the helicopter and talked to him. Then they went to his toolbox, and he had never done the outline for his tools in his tool box. He was terminated on the spot and packed up and went back to the U.S. They shut everything down and searched until they found the missing tool.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I never got to meet Joe Rome, but I saw him more than a few times, mostly at Alex—you couldn’t miss him! From the stories I’ve heard, Joe reminds me of my Uncle Ed, who was always our #1 pit crew man. Ed was an aircraft mechanic, like his brother, my dad, and his specialty was rebuilding aircraft engines. Ed was calm, meticulous and could fix anything. Although, sometimes he had to stand there and chew on his cigar for a minute or two before he made a move, but when he made that move, it was the correct one. Unlike some help we got in the pit, we never had to go looking for Ed, because Ed was always looking for us. He knew where we were and what we needed, which sounds like Joe. Ed went to every race we attended, but was never interested in racing himself. My dad tried to get him into it, and even talked Ed into taking a couple boats out for a run, a runabout and a hydro (Ed preferred the runabout), but Ed was just happy to work in the pits and then sit on a boat stand to watch the race.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve we were never introduced properly but Tommy Gossely told me about your family.Baldy did inttroduced me to your dad.I liked the blue uniforms

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, Joe, if you ever venture into the Florida swamp, I have a bedroom with your name on it. Tommy, an old C-Service boat racer, taught me and my dad a lot about the sport--a great guy, Tommy, and his son, Jeff. Tommy, by the way, owned a print shop in Hot Springs, Arkansas, and did a lot of work for the Razorback Boat Racing Club and always pro bono. Happy to hear you met my dad. He passed away in 1993, and I still miss him.

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy old slow poke was a great guy.If you couldn't get along with Tommy you have a problem.i know he was heiped the Razorback club

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, did you know the Boltons from Texarkana who raced C-Service? They were another father & son team who taught us a lot. The dad's name was Joe; the son's name has slipped my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know Joe Steve, but I did know Bobby Bolton. 92-T He was also a great guy. Don't know why I didn't ever know Joe. And another great C Service and C Runabout guy from that area was Lyndol Reid. I knew Tommy very well but I didn't really talk to Jeff much that I can remember. I think he was kind of on the shy side like you. I wish now I would have spent more time with so many racer friends of the past. Well, it's a good thing that we have Boatracingfacts, so we are now getting together like never before. I know Joe knows Bobby because we talked about him before, but Hey Joe....did you know Joe Bolton too?

Thread Information